Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-25-2013, 02:19 PM

Need some "expert" advice.
    The cleaning of my Singer 27 went well and hubby has it working nicely now it's my turn. I used the manual and know how to thread it but the shuttle/bobbin situation has be stumped.
    I watched some Youtubes on how to wind the bobbin-check did that right but when it comes to loading the bobbin into the shuttle...there is a problem
    I insert the wound bobbin into the opening and then pull the thread straight down the slot and try to pull it straight up through the tension thing and it just comes right back up the slot again.
    I loosened the screw to see if it was too tight but other than finding a bit of thread wrapped around it, which I removed, didn't make a difference to get the thread under the tension thing.
    Sigh...
    So any suggestions from here? I can try a photo but since I am down to only my cell phone for pictures it might not be too clear but I can try.
    I was so excited to get treading and now am at a standstill! Maybe I should have gone for the White with a rotary bobbin which I am familiar with first.
    Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cathieinut
    Need some "expert" advice.
    The cleaning of my Singer 27 went well and hubby has it working nicely now it's my turn. I used the manual and know how to thread it but the shuttle/bobbin situation has be stumped.
    I watched some Youtubes on how to wind the bobbin-check did that right but when it comes to loading the bobbin into the shuttle...there is a problem
    I insert the wound bobbin into the opening and then pull the thread straight down the slot and try to pull it straight up through the tension thing and it just comes right back up the slot again.
    I loosened the screw to see if it was too tight but other than finding a bit of thread wrapped around it, which I removed, didn't make a difference to get the thread under the tension thing.
    Sigh...
    So any suggestions from here? I can try a photo but since I am down to only my cell phone for pictures it might not be too clear but I can try.
    I was so excited to get treading and now am at a standstill! Maybe I should have gone for the White with a rotary bobbin which I am familiar with first.
    Muv has the best info on that stuff on her blog.
    Old 11-25-2013, 02:25 PM

Hey Charlie glad to see you back. Missed you a lot.
    Skip
    Old 11-25-2013, 02:41 PM

Photos of the shuttle
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131125_153137.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	448693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131125_153001.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	448694   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131125_152935.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	448695  
    Old 11-25-2013, 03:14 PM
    Power Poster

Photos of the shuttle
    have you tried unwinding a little bobbin thread - see if it is too full?
    Old 11-25-2013, 04:16 PM

I thought about the bobbin might being too full however...
    I turns out I was just trying too hard to get the thread in the "right"place and I just needed to relax! LOL
    If you are interested I posted a little short video on my Facebook page of the machine in action!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    Old 11-25-2013, 07:43 PM

Cathie.... glad to hear you figured it out. I had the same problem with my 128 when I was first trying to use it. It's amazing how just relaxing makes such a difference. I seem to panic and then I have to take a little time to let my brain figure things out.

You are going to love that machine. I could watch the bobbin fill for hours..... amazing how it wraps the thread so perfectly. And, the stitches are great, too.
    Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 PM

Thanks Skip! I missed all of you too!
    Old 11-25-2013, 11:09 PM

I thought about the bobbin might being too full however...
    I turns out I was just trying too hard to get the thread in the "right"place and I just needed to relax! LOL
    If you are interested I posted a little short video on my Facebook page of the machine in action!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    Got an error message "The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page."
    Old 11-26-2013, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
    Cathie.... glad to hear you figured it out. I had the same problem with my 128 when I was first trying to use it. It's amazing how just relaxing makes such a difference. I seem to panic and then I have to take a little time to let my brain figure things out.

You are going to love that machine. I could watch the bobbin fill for hours..... amazing how it wraps the thread so perfectly. And, the stitches are great, too.
    Glad you figured it out. I had the same problem when I first started. But, DH remembered how to do it from watching his mom. Once I got the hang of it seems so simple.