Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Largest Quilt you have Quilted? >
  • Largest Quilt you have Quilted?

• Largest Quilt you have Quilted?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:34 AM

I just finished 120" X 110" on my Bernia 1130. I have done on 120" X 120 but it was such that I did half and half then sewed the center seam by sewing the tops together then overlaping the lining in the back very carefully and stitched in the ditch from the front. There were a couple of places I missed about 3" long so just stitched them by hand.
    Old 08-13-2014, 12:46 PM
    Power Poster

I quilted a king size quilt, approx. 110" x 110" on my Sears Kenmore machine, then I did a couple more king size quilts on my Janome 4000. Granted a queen size is a little easier, but taking it slow, making a puddle with the quilt so it goes through the throat easier helps too, as well as having a large table or tables to support the quilt during the quilting process also helps. I have also quilted quilts where I had the quilt supported on a large table up against a wall so that the quilt would not "fall off" and create a strain on the quilt. I say, just go for it.
    Old 08-14-2014, 05:36 AM
    Power Poster

The largest one I have done is a king BUT it was a quilt as you go. still a challenge to get it all together.
    Old 08-14-2014, 01:10 PM

I've quilted as much as a King on my DMS. I have a midarm now, so don't worry as often, but it is doable with lots of puddling
    Old 08-14-2014, 03:55 PM

I have quilted several queens and one oversized king on my Janome 6600. I just take my time and focus only on the space right around the needle. It's tiring, so rests are a necessity. I used to try rolling the quilt but that just made a big old stiff tube to wrestle around so now I just "puddle" the rest of the quilt on the sewing table. It can be done!
    Old 08-14-2014, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by caquiltingmom
    I have quilted several queens and one oversized king on my Janome 6600. I just take my time and focus only on the space right around the needle. It's tiring, so rests are a necessity. I used to try rolling the quilt but that just made a big old stiff tube to wrestle around so now I just "puddle" the rest of the quilt on the sewing table. It can be done!
    I love hearing all of you say it can be done! I will take my time and reposition my sewing machine to have a table and wall on the left of me and table space in front of me.
    Old 08-14-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
    I used Marti Michell's book for quilting in sections, until I came across a quilt that didn't have any straight lines running all the way through it. I quilted it on my DSM (93x104"), said never again, and promptly bought a longarm.
    Dunster, that is how I ended up with a long arm too except it was just a small throw and I said never again

I am truly impressed with you ladies that persevere I chickened out and just got a LA.

Originally Posted by jbj137
    *** 120" x 120"
    *** Hand quilted.
    And hand quilting! I am in awe. I wont even hand stitch the binding, HAND is a 4-letter word
    Old 08-17-2014, 02:22 PM

Hi Kitty,
    I've quilted queen size quilts with my Bernina 1031, it has a mere 6.5" throat space. Its doable, you just have to sorta drape the quilt around the machine. Don't roll your quilt as it makes the quilt too hard to handle, accordion pleat your quilt that helps also. Quilt from the center out and make sure its well basted about every 3-4" using the curved safety pins.
    Leah Day has some very good video tutorials for machine quilting on your DMS. Here's the link to her Youtube website: https://www.youtube.com/user/lcvday
    Sharon in Texas