Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Warning! Don't EVER give or donate ANYTHING EVER! lol >
  • Warning! Don't EVER give or donate ANYTHING EVER! lol

• Warning! Don't EVER give or donate ANYTHING EVER! lol

Old 08-31-2014, 04:41 PM

A couple of years ago I gave a lady a sewing machine and some of my fabric I didn't think I would ever use. I wanted to do this to help her. I found out in the last year that she probably sold the machine for drug money and I have no idea what happened to the fabric that she had big plans for. Sometimes I'm a pushover for helping people. I'm beginning to be more selective with my "handouts". I guess the old saying is true..."you live and learn".
    Old 08-31-2014, 05:21 PM

Once it's out of the house, I'm usually ok. But if I have a partial donation bag started in the sewing room, I've been known to take things back out of the bag. Usually my "giving regret" is in regards to clothing, like where are those comfortable leggings?? Oh yeah, I got rid of them.
    Old 08-31-2014, 05:52 PM

I've been fortunate that what I have given away hasn't caused me any anguish. The magazines I gave to a new quilter were for a beginning quilter -- I still have my favorites though. The fabric I've gotten rid of was worth getting rid of and I still have plenty!
    Old 08-31-2014, 06:38 PM

Two months ago I had a manic day and loaded up bags and bags of fabric, patterns and books and gave them to the Goodwill. I no longer feel overwhelmed or guilty about not using them. I hope it all went to good homes. I have never been able to give things away like that before. I feel so much better now. There are so many free patterns available I don't miss the books and I will purchase my other items as needed from now on.
    Old 08-31-2014, 07:52 PM

LOL, love it. I don't have enough to give away, but I'll keep this in mind when I get to that point.
    Old 08-31-2014, 08:04 PM

I don't have a lot of fabric to give away. When my magazine pile gets too large, i give them to a friend. When she's done she gives them away. I really need to get rid of some patterns that I have used. I don't like to make thinks twice.
    Old 08-31-2014, 09:56 PM

I seem to never recall what I have given away. Once it is gone it is gone.
    Old 08-31-2014, 10:48 PM
    Administrator

i am far too selfish to ever give up giving away.
    it just feels too good to know i have helped somebody explore or continue quilting;
    it just feels too good to know that something that's been sitting unused for ages will now be appreciated and used;
    it just feels too good to know that "things" are at least a little less important to me than people; and
    [this is a secret ... so please don't tell ...] it feels better than it should to see empty space i can fill with new stuff if i happen to have a few fritter funds to fling at a sale.
    Old 08-31-2014, 11:01 PM

I know just what you mean! Last year, when we decided to sell our place here in Missouri, we sold & gave away a lot of things. So many times I am sitting at my machine when I start looking for something -- then I remember that it was sold or given away. That has happened so many times lately & I get so sad at those times. Especially since hubby decided in March that we weren't going to sell out!
    Old 08-31-2014, 11:24 PM

I only get rid of things that I haven't used for years and have no interest in doing again. I purged some things a few years ago. Gone is the counted cross stitch because it's a strain on my eyesight. Also gone is the polyester fabrics that I would never sew into clothing since I now prefer natural fibers. I haven't missed them at all.