Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is the best black batting? >
  • What is the best black batting?

• What is the best black batting?

Old 01-28-2015, 07:17 AM

If you go to the Hobbs website, they have a chart of their different types of batting, what they are made of and what the best use is for them. We had a couple company reps speak at our quilt guild, and it was interesting.
    Old 01-28-2015, 07:47 AM

Quilters Dream Midnight Select weight. There is a lighter one, Request weight - but I prefer the Select. AndiR above is right, it does behave like a good cotton batt. It quilts beautifully and hangs well - and no shrinkage.
    Old 01-28-2015, 07:58 AM

I've used the Hobbs 80/20 Black batting - I didn't like the feel of it when I took it out of the package, but it quilted fine, and the quilt drapes nicely
    Old 01-28-2015, 08:04 AM

I bought a bolt of the Hobbs 80/20 and have used it in 2 quilts. No problems with it at all.
    Old 01-28-2015, 07:14 PM

Sounds like there are a few good options. I think I'm tending towards the Quilter's Dream, mainly due to no shrinkage since it will be a more modern quilt and I'd prefer that look. I haven't used poly since I started quilting many years ago and used a less than the best poly batting. I guess that is my hesitance toward poly, but I suspect the quality of the QD is much better than what I experienced many years ago. I appreciate all the input!
    Old 01-29-2015, 09:44 PM

Go buy a crib size QD poly and open the package. If you don't like it, I will buy it from you, including the price of shipping!
    Old 01-30-2015, 02:39 AM
    Power Poster

I have used both and like both, when connecting threads has their (frequent) batting sales I usually buy 3 or 4 {Hobbs} to have on hand, it is a very nice 80/20 blend. Quilters dream ( around here) is a bit more expensive/ hard to find on sale)
    Old 01-30-2015, 06:13 AM

I have not yet purchased black batting but I have been using a nice black fleece that I found on sale for I think $3/yd a few years ago and of course purchased several bolts. It has worked well for lap quilts and quilt as you go. I don't do anything big on my featherweight!
    Old 01-30-2015, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    I suspect that was their old 100% poly stuff. Discontinued years ago. The 80/20 blend in black could be mistaken for cotton if you didn't have the packaging.
    Nope, it was brand-new, white Hobbs 80/20, fresh out of the bag, fresh from the store. I still have a 2nd one in my stash I'll get around to using eventually. Once it was in the quilt it was fine - I used it in a baby quilt that I densely quilted and washed in hot water twice before I gave it away and it was holding up great so I'm not saying it's a bad batting by any means. Just kind of weirdly scratchy feeling when it's "naked" that I didn't like.

I haven't used any black Hobbs battings; I don't know if those feel any different.