Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • April 2016 mug rug swap  -- hospitality >
  • April 2016 mug rug swap -- hospitality

• April 2016 mug rug swap -- hospitality

Old 03-21-2016, 02:51 PM

Klaws is correct. The pineapple is the colonial symbol of hospitality. I've always loved that symbolism!

Now, if you want to go in a different direction, think about what you would do to show hospitality to your guest. Are you inviting her to lunch? Or to brunch? Is this a party, or a celebration of some sort that you have included her in?

Did I give you too much information, or not enough? Hmmmm?

Seriously, if I've confused you with this theme, just PM me. Or we can all hash it out on this thread!
    Old 03-21-2016, 04:07 PM

WOHOO.... SIGM ME up for APRIL... ( Hard to believe its almost april!!!)
    Old 03-21-2016, 05:15 PM

We're off to a good start for April. We even have a newbie (to us) who joined. I'm so happy to see returning swappers, & it's always fun to have a newbie or 3 sign up as well!
    Old 03-21-2016, 08:41 PM

I am thinking on this. Should I do it or not do it. Still have time to sign up.
    Old 03-22-2016, 02:33 AM

Do it, Nelda! Don't miss out on this one!
    Old 03-22-2016, 11:57 AM

I'm in for this month too
    Old 03-23-2016, 07:47 AM

Okay I'm throwing caution to the wind (which is HOWLING out of the north at 40-50 mph sustained, gusting to 70+ mph today) and debating if I can sign up this month. My family's and my own health hasn't allowed me to sign up for some of my fave swaps in the last few months, but I'm slowly trying to ease back in.
    My concern is I am one who usually likes to ask if my partner has any input, but doing that makes it where I can't start on the project until partners are assigned and in contact with each other. I know some have their mr made pretty quickly after the theme is given. Which I can see has its advantages. At least then you don't chance something coming up where you can't fulfill your obligation. I've not had that happen yet, and don't want it to if I can help it.

What's the consensus on making it and then finding out what your partner likes if you're one who likes to tuck in some extras? That way the mr is done, and if you choose you can still add in some somewhat personalized touches.
    Which for me, I do. It's only a few cents more in postage, and if I share some of my "goodies" it helps me feel like I'm prolonging the producers of "Hoarding, Buried Alive" from knocking on my door.
    I want to add I never expect extras, I'm always so excited just to see what my partner surprises me with on the monthly theme!

Klaws,
    I had no idea the pineapple symbolized hospitality in colonial times. How interesting. If I do sign up, maybe my partner could be hospitable and send me a pineapple upside down cake...yummy!

Regards,
    Kif

Last edited by kiffie2413; 03-23-2016 at 07:51 AM.
    Old 03-23-2016, 10:39 AM
    Power Poster

Kiffie that was hilarious. lol.... I watch those hoarding shows. They make me feel better. lol...

I am giving a little second thought if I can join too. It depends on if I have enough of the batting I usually use left after I make 3 today for some at the clinic I go to. So I will see. I actually love the theme, with no thoughts yet on what I would do.

Happy Easter!
    Old 03-23-2016, 01:48 PM

Kiffie -- when we have a swap that says "Partner's Choice," then that's where everyone should be waiting to hear what their partner says about their likes & dislikes. When it's "Maker's Choice," it's up to the maker &, if she's inclined to wait to hear her partner's preferences, that's certainly okay! So, in this case, I leave that up to you. And we don't mind putting in a little something along with the mug rug.

If anybody feels differently about what I just said, feel free to express your opinions. But that's the way the swap was set up originally, & I haven't changed it.

But, if someone feels she doesn't want to do extras, then maybe impart that information to your partner so she doesn't feel funny about sending things you don't want and vs.? Just a thought.

Feel free to express your opinions, ladies!
    Old 03-23-2016, 01:58 PM

Pamela you said it perfectly. And if they don't want to make extras then they should let their partner know and they won't need to make them. I always send extras but if a partner doesn't want them then I wouldn't send them.