Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is so hard about "blue"? >
  • What is so hard about "blue"?

• What is so hard about "blue"?

Old 08-19-2016, 02:24 AM

There are 1677 Pantone colors! http://www.pantone.com/downloads/cat...sSeriesFAQ.pdf

so, for me..."blue" is vague. I think Royal...some would think Navy...teal is a blue. The paintchip is a good idea but should be used as a guide...i think it would be difficult to always find a fabric color match. Ever see a color card for Kona Solids? Compare them to another brand of blenders and you will see many variations of the color blue.

Sandy
    Old 08-19-2016, 03:19 AM
    Power Poster

I was not trying for an "exact" color match - I was just trying for "reasonably compatible" - to my eyes, anyway - as far as my color choice for her.
    Old 08-19-2016, 04:14 AM

I don't take requests. I sew what I want then give them away to someone who wants them. One time I had a friend ask me to make something that related to hostas to auction off for her hosta club. I did find some green material that had hosta leaves and made place mats. She said they sold for $80.00 and that seemed to please her. I really felt under a lot of pressure and I won't do that again. I am not a perfectionist and sometimes my stuff is rinky dink. I am not very artistic either - no I don't want to be under pressure. I sew for my pleasure not to make money or for someone else.
    Old 08-19-2016, 04:40 AM

The question about, what's so hard about blue was your out to making them. I have always requested a yard of fabric that someone just loves in order to make a quilt for someone. Whenever someone says, I want one. To date, I have never received a yard of fabric. So when they say, Where's my quilt, I volley back, where's my yard? You don't have to make anything till you get paint chips.
    Old 08-19-2016, 05:26 AM

I had that problem with a quilt for my daughter. Their bedroom is green. She told me to colors she wanted in the quilt and the name of the paint color. Since it had been a few years since they painted the bdrm I couldn't find the color. My recollection of it was a yellow-green. When we went down there for Christmas I discovered the green is more sage than yellow-green. So back to the drawing board on the greens. I'll have to replace the ones I had with new ones nearer the color of their bdrm. I"m just glad I hadn't gotten any further than picking the colors.
    Old 08-19-2016, 06:07 AM

I've gotten toherifimake something for someone, THEY buy the main color(s). That way they can't complain when I get the wrong one🤔.
    Old 08-19-2016, 06:14 AM

I've gotten toherifimake something for someone, THEY buy the main color(s). That way they can't complain when I get the wrong one🤔.
    Old 08-19-2016, 06:16 AM

When my daughter got married the first stop we made when picking colors was the hardware store. With paint chip in hand we then went dress shopping. I also picked colors and made table runners for the reception. My daughter wrote messages on the backing fabric and gave them as gifts to the bridesmaids and grandmothers.
    Old 08-19-2016, 06:19 AM

I wonder if all of the paint chip samples that land in the hand of quilters and not paint sales is an issue for the paint retailers? Hmmmm

sandy
    Old 08-19-2016, 06:28 AM

WAWAC sells thread in 400 shades.