Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is so hard about "blue"? >

What is so hard about "blue"?

What is so hard about "blue"?

Old 08-18-2016, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Default What is so hard about "blue"?

I once offered to make my sister some pillowcases for Christmas.

She said "How about some blue ones."

I asked her to please send some paint chips so I could choose a color that (I thought) she might like.

Her response "What's so hard about blue?"

She has - thank goodness - since learned that there are many variations of a color and that some clues to narrow down the choices are helpful.

Have any of you had discussions/aggravation/miscommunications about what you and the other person had in mind when a particular color is mentioned?

I have learned that it is better if I choose my own thread (or whatever else involving color) rather than sending someone else to do it. Then I see for myself what is/was available and can't complain about what was selected.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

No, I just make what I want to make. Sorry.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:20 AM

You are used to many shades of fabric blue. I'd give dollars to donuts that those who just say blue are visualizing the blue they had in the 8pack of Crayola crayons they had in kindergarten
Old 08-18-2016, 07:49 AM

I personally haven't had that issue, because I like scrappy, so when someone specifies a certain color, I use all shades across that specific color spectrum. I.e. if they want green, they get sage green, forest green, frog green, dusty green, kelly green, yellowish green, blueish green, etc.

When my SIL got married, a relative asked her what colors she liked, she was going to make a Lone Star quilt. She replied "earth tones". Well, that is rather vague and can mean many different colors to different people. SIL meant blues, greens, and soft browns. What she got was greens, oranges, yellows, browns, and fuchsia. That poor quilt didn't see the light of day for 20 years.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

How did the fuchsia work in that quilt?

I think that the more we work with colors, the more aware we are of the differences between them.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:45 AM

I'm making a blue quilt now for a 7 year old girl. Her grandma said she likes "blue." So I started with regular blues, then I started thinking she really loves Frozen. So I added more aqua-ish fabrics. I'm thinking that's more what the grandma meant by "blue." Hopefully she'll like it.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
How did the fuchsia work in that quilt?
You know, she finally dug it out about a year ago and I think it's pretty. It's hand-quilted. Originally she thought it was hideous, but I think she finally sees the work and love that went into it, and she appreciates it now. It lives in their guest room (my son is underneath it in this picture, which is why it's rumpled ).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]556173[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails janets-quilt.jpg  
Old 08-18-2016, 09:30 AM

I too ask for paint chips when someone asks for something I'm not sure of. That way I'm certain it's what they had in mind. My oldest daughter wanted a quilt with mauve in it. I wasn't even sure where to begin with that color!! Thankfully with the paint chip, I was able to make her extremely happy!! :-)
Old 08-18-2016, 09:34 AM

I was taken a back by the fuchsia in the earth tone color listing too, but seeing the quilt, the fuchsia sure makes it pop.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
You know, she finally dug it out about a year ago and I think it's pretty. It's hand-quilted. Originally she thought it was hideous, but I think she finally sees the work and love that went into it, and she appreciates it now. It lives in their guest room (my son is underneath it in this picture, which is why it's rumpled ).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]556173[/ATTACH]
It's pretty - it makes me think of some of those late fall blooming flowers.

Thank you for posting the picture.