Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is so hard about "blue"? >

What is so hard about "blue"?

What is so hard about "blue"?

Old 08-19-2016, 07:03 AM

I think I've always had an eye for color - not in the sense that I have good fashion (I definitely don't have that), but in the sense that if I look at a color I can tell - that's mostly red with a touch of blue and a little titch of black. My mom collects various old pottery and she'll get pieces that had little chips in the glaze - as a kid I used to take my acrylic paints and blend matching shades and dot paint into the chips to disguise them. I could get a perfect match, every single time.

So my husband and I disagree about paint colors, a LOT. He'll call something "pure blue" and I have to say, "no, that has some red in it, it's a royal blue" - but he just can't see the red in it. I've actually taken paint out to show him, that color cannot be attained from primary blue without adding red. He'll be sort of confused but agree once he sees that, but he can't see it without the demonstration. I've actually wondered a few times if he isn't subtly color-blind. He passes all the tests, but who can tell what another person's eyes are seeing.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
The "earth tone" lone star quilt is beautiful and the workmanship is excellent, but I would never call it "earth tone"
I was thinking the same thing and if I was making something earth tone would not have come up with those colors, but as I was looking at it, well the fuchsia and green are really colors of flowers which are of the earth. So maybe different people perceive "earth tones" differently. Very pretty quilt though.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:07 AM
mac

I took a color class from Roberta Horton in 1991. She made you work with a color you didn't like -- in my case the color was orange - crayon box orange - UGH! The class was 5 weeks long and I have to say that I hated most of the class, there is nothing worse than working with a color you don't like. I just couldn't see past that ugly color. Finally, she just looked at me and said, there is a whole family of oranges out there: burnt orange, rust, pumpkin orange, etc...

The light bulb finally lit above my head (I'm a slow learner) and from then on I never found a color I didn't like. She opened my eyes to my color prejudice and made me realize that there are many, many colors out there that I do like in orange and every other color under the sun.

When I was a kid and into my 40's my crayon box was just the basic colors. Now that I am in my 60's my crayon box is beyond my wildest dreams.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:37 PM

I had this problem a few months ago when a friend wanted a green Irish Chain quilt in sage green. Sage I said, is one color not in my stash....how about if I use various shades of green? She stuck to her guns, so I searched web sites until I found one that said sage green in the description. Funny, I always thought sage was a greenish gray color...this was a lighter shade of hunter. Whatever it was...it worked...she loves her quilt!!
Old 08-19-2016, 05:02 PM

DIL loves purple and I went and pulled all the purples in my stash. I must have 20 purples with only 2 that match. Red purple, blue purple, gray purple and all the shades in between.. Don't get me started with reds -- pulled a bunch of reds for a Christmas quilt and I decided my stash is too big because there were so many shades of red. DH had a car that was called "sea mist green" but to me it was teal blue. I have a pretty good eye and if I want to match colors I can do it but the paint chip idea is great -- as long as both of you are using the same set of paint chips.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:03 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
You know, she finally dug it out about a year ago and I think it's pretty. It's hand-quilted. Originally she thought it was hideous, but I think she finally sees the work and love that went into it, and she appreciates it now. It lives in their guest room (my son is underneath it in this picture, which is why it's rumpled ).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]556173[/ATTACH]
This appears quite contemporary to me and I love that fuchsia in it - really brightens it up!
Old 08-20-2016, 03:09 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I think I've always had an eye for color - not in the sense that I have good fashion (I definitely don't have that), but in the sense that if I look at a color I can tell - that's mostly red with a touch of blue and a little titch of black. My mom collects various old pottery and she'll get pieces that had little chips in the glaze - as a kid I used to take my acrylic paints and blend matching shades and dot paint into the chips to disguise them. I could get a perfect match, every single time....
Me too! That's why I might make a 2 color quilt, but it'll always have "26" different fabrics it it! It took teaching quilting for me to learn that many people do not see color this way. How sad for them!
Old 08-20-2016, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

A pair of pillowcases - at most - would have had three different fabrics in them. At the time I was going to make them, I was only going to use one fabric.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
You know, she finally dug it out about a year ago and I think it's pretty. It's hand-quilted. Originally she thought it was hideous, but I think she finally sees the work and love that went into it, and she appreciates it now. It lives in their guest room (my son is underneath it in this picture, which is why it's rumpled ).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]556173[/ATTACH]

Keepsake Quilting 's most recent catalog (Celebrating Keepsake Quilting 30 Years

on page 7 has a quilt kit called Autumn Reflections that has the following colors in it:

white, gold, bronze, olivy brown, orange, light gold/yellow and light magenta and darker magenta.