Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Being Curious, How well read are you? >

Being Curious, How well read are you?

Being Curious, How well read are you?

Old 05-12-2010, 06:45 PM

40, but thanks for the list, I'll check out a few more.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:03 PM

I've read about 40. I read constantly but I tend to like non-fiction more. There are a few on the list that I really want to read and need to put them in my queue.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:19 PM

I've read 20 on this list, plus alot more not listed. I loved the Earth's Children Series by Jean Auel, and have read all of them. The Walking Drum, by Louis L'Amour and countless others that I can't recall at the moment. I love to read, just hard to find the quiet time these days.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:21 PM

53 ... love reading.

One of my fun finds recently is Laurie R King's books, which are ABOUT Sherlock Holmes. They are really fun.

But I do like more modern mysteries than the classics. Was Agatha Christie even on the list? Sometimes I'd just prefer a fun read than slogging through 'literature'. And what if the authors were not really putting all those layers of hidden meaning in the text?!

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed all of the stories within stories in the Dune and Tolkien series.

My most memorable book from high school was 'The Chrysalids' ... but that was a few years ago.

My favourite books for reading with my kids when they were growing up - Dennis Lee (Alligator Pie! and Ookpik) and Robert Munsch.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:43 PM

I've read 52 on the list, some like 1984 and the Da Vinci Code just don't apeal to me. I usually read whatever I can get my hands on, I take it in spells, but I quilt more now, so I don't read as much, our library has a nice selection, and before I became addicted to quilting, would read 5( the limit) and return them before the 3wks were up. Only 1 of my 4 doesn't like to read and one is just turning 5 but he freezes when you start reading a book to him. I really believe if they see your enjoyment while reading it kinda rubs off on them eventually. :D
Old 05-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

Hmm 83 for me, but that's a bit shabby as I worked in the book trade for many years. I need little sleep, so reading is just the ticket so I don't go rummaging around whilst others try to sleep. I couldn't live without books...I love them and was blessed to be able to work with them for so many years.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

I know many people love Jane Austen, but to be really, really honest I don't enjoy her work at all, just can't see why people like it. If I tell people I know, they always look at me as if I have said something shocking...just because it's a classic, doesn't mean it's a good read.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:27 PM

Sorry to say only 13 on this list. But I see several I would love to read. I have read all of the Dune....old and new ones. I am a great mystery nut. I love a good mystery. I do like to read. I would like to maybe become involved with a book club. I reread Two Years Before the Mast recently. It is a very good record of life in early, early California and quite fascinating. I need to keep this list so I can catch up with most of you. (grin)
Old 05-12-2010, 08:55 PM
JJs
Banned

well,, if you've read the COMPLETE Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy you've read everything (it's been real) but I wonder why there are no Ayn Rand books on that list -Atlas Shrugged is still a best seller 57 years after it was written - and STILL relevant
Old 05-13-2010, 03:25 AM

24...most of them a long time ago. I've read a lot of Shakespeare and the Bible but not all. A couple...Life of Pi, Animal Farm---I read when my son had them as part of his high school course. I like Edgar Allan Poe stories and have reread many of them. I like mysteries and true crime stories.