Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt

Old 05-14-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Woodster
Originally Posted by omak
Life does get in the way, sometimes, but what an amazing life it is!<wave>
It's never boring, I'll say that.
8-) 8-) 8-) :thumbup:
Old 05-14-2010, 06:54 AM

Question from a beginer. I just went to the website for Connecting Threads and they have a beautiful Fat Quarter that is 18X22. I thought fat quarters were like 2 1/2 wide strips???? They also offer 2 1/2 wide strips called "strips" not Fat Quarters. Am I missing something here? Do you buy the 18X22 Fat Quarters and cut them down for the Fat Quarter quilt shown at the beginning of this thread. HELP!
Pamala
Never mind, i was thinking jelly roll but was looking at fat quarters -dah!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:31 AM

Has anyone made the Jelly Roll Quilt at the top of this tread using 20 different fabric colors, using each color strip twice?
Thanks,
Pam
Old 05-14-2010, 08:08 AM

I don't see why you couldn't. You will end up with like fabric strips butting each other in places, but that could produce an overall interesting pattern.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:12 AM

Thanks Woodster, you are a great help to this newby!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:33 AM

I read that the suction cup handles which are made for bathrooms work very well and are much cheaper than the special ones made for quilting. They can be purchased in the bath department of hardware stores.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:40 AM

Fat quarters are 18 x 21 or 22 inches or 1/4 of a yard of fabric. One yard of fabric is cut down the middle (20 x 36) then recut to 20 x 18. Jelly rolls are 2 1/2 strips of coordinating fabric that are bundled together. Fabric companies are now selling bundled fabrics such as charm square packages, layer cakes and more. These are all pre-cut fabrics.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeeit42
I read that the suction cup handles which are made for bathrooms work very well and are much cheaper than the special ones made for quilting. They can be purchased in the bath department of hardware stores.
That sounds like a good idea. Gotta love hardware stores! I was lucky enough to get my "gripper" at a 1/2 price sale at one of local craft shops a while back - don't remember what I paid for it now, but thought it was a good deal at the time.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Woodster
Originally Posted by sew cornie
This has been pretty entertaining reading. LOL. Omak, I love all of your input. You are always so helpful. Thanks!

I too would like to use this method for a queen sized quilt. I have a Christmas jelly roll that I've wanted to get this exact look from. Actually, I have two jelly rolls, but looking at all the math, I think I'll stick to using just one. HA! However, in order to get it to the larger size, I'll add 3 borders - a plain one, a pieced one, and another plain one. I have lots of FQ's in the same fabrics as the jelly rolls and I'll use them to create the pieced border. So the jelly roll part will make up the center of the quilt, with the borders taking it up to the right size.

Sounds like it will be really pretty. How do you think you'll piece the border? Vertically?
I'm not sure yet how I'll piece the border. Having so many different fabrics, it will be a scrappy look. I'm thinking either sawtooth stars all the way around or maybe to stick with the more contemporary feel, just doing rows of 2" squares. This is probably 8th or further on my to-do list so I have some time to think it over.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Pamala
Has anyone made the Jelly Roll Quilt at the top of this tread using 20 different fabric colors, using each color strip twice?
Thanks,
Pam
The quilt, I think the first one I did was 11 different strips, three strips of each of the 11 fabrics. It is the cowboy one ... I explained it all as I made it ... Basically, I used each fabric three times, so you can see how that turned out.
If I remember correctly, I decided that if I had a situation as you mentioned above ... I would put the two strips that matched, together sewn end to end ... that should mix things up well, but I didn't have any jelly rolls of that set up to find out what would happen <wave>