Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Owners....Your Tutorials are Starting >

Vintage Sewing Machine Owners....Your Tutorials are Starting

Vintage Sewing Machine Owners....Your Tutorials are Starting

Old 05-15-2010, 12:47 PM

Thank you Billy,
Have a featherweight and am looking to buy a singer 301. I really love old machines.
Dottie
Old 05-15-2010, 01:02 PM

well thank you very much for information Billy
Old 05-15-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hello All,

I am glad to announce that the Tutorials that everyone has been wanting are coming to life as we speak!!!! They will be in several installments because of all the information I am having to cover and I hope I can put it all into words with the help of plenty of photos.

I am figuring that we need to cover the basics and then some...... Electrical (to me the MOST important one), Disassembly, Cleaning, Assembly, Cabinet refinishing, and Upkeep and Maintenance.

The first installment will be the Disassembly of the machine.

I just hope these will be helpful for anyone wanting to work on their own machines and maybe we can start saving more of them and using them for our quilting projects.

Billy
Billy! You are a lifesaver! I went to an estate sale today and purchased a Singer 66 (1929) - which was motorized in a cabinet from the original owner's family. It is so grimey - but no rust. I did clean the faceplates today with WD-40. I couldn't wait, I had to see the beautiful design shining through! Then I plugged her in - she works but needs to be cleaned and adjusted. I wanted to take her apart and clean before using! Please make sure you include me in your tutorials! I am looking forward to learning about this machine myself. Thank you, thank you, thank you! (Oh, she has a name "Jeannie" after my mom!) Did I say thank you?
Old 05-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kat B
just home from picking up a green singer, according to the number EN773782, it's a 99K 185K, 50000 were made in Scotland starting August 4, 1958...pick the machine up and an empty sewing cabinet for $29.00 Will post pictures soon. The stitch length plate is gone. Is that something that can be replaced?
Whoa thats cheap enough!!!! Looking forward to the photos!!!

Billy
Old 05-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by schwanton
Billy! You are a lifesaver! I went to an estate sale today and purchased a Singer 66 (1929) - which was motorized in a cabinet from the original owner's family. It is so grimey - but no rust. I did clean the faceplates today with WD-40. I couldn't wait, I had to see the beautiful design shining through! Then I plugged her in - she works but needs to be cleaned and adjusted. I wanted to take her apart and clean before using! Please make sure you include me in your tutorials! I am looking forward to learning about this machine myself. Thank you, thank you, thank you! (Oh, she has a name "Jeannie" after my mom!) Did I say thank you?
I think I remember you saying something about thank you but I am not sure......:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you have a nice machine under all the grime! Well start tearing into Jeannie and get ready to clean her up!!

Billy
Old 05-15-2010, 01:49 PM

You are my hero! Thank you for your efforts.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:32 PM

~laffin~ Billy has a harem!!
Old 05-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
~laffin~ Billy has a harem!!
I am diggin' the harem thing!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy
Old 05-15-2010, 02:53 PM

Where will you be posting these tutorials? I have an old Singer treadle that was cleaned & repaired years ago. Never used it but now I just mignt!
Old 05-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by terry leffler
Where will you be posting these tutorials? I have an old Singer treadle that was cleaned & repaired years ago. Never used it but now I just mignt!
In the tutorial section on the board.

Billy