Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Owners....Your Tutorials are Starting >

Vintage Sewing Machine Owners....Your Tutorials are Starting

Vintage Sewing Machine Owners....Your Tutorials are Starting

Old 05-15-2010, 03:48 PM

Thanks Billy!
Old 05-15-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hello All,

I am glad to announce that the Tutorials that everyone has been wanting are coming to life as we speak!!!! They will be in several installments because of all the information I am having to cover and I hope I can put it all into words with the help of plenty of photos.

I am figuring that we need to cover the basics and then some...... Electrical (to me the MOST important one), Disassembly, Cleaning, Assembly, Cabinet refinishing, and Upkeep and Maintenance.

This is a wonderful idea. I have a Viking with a recurring problem. I know what the problem is and could fix it if I knew how to get into the machine to do it. It cost me $55 just to get this little spring like thing slipped back onto the shaft.

The first installment will be the Disassembly of the machine.

I just hope these will be helpful for anyone wanting to work on their own machines and maybe we can start saving more of them and using them for our quilting projects.

Billy
Old 05-15-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Charlee
~laffin~ Billy has a harem!!
I am diggin' the harem thing!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy
Billy I do no know about the harem thing, just keep the info coming. I am to old to have a ego but IU would like a harem even if i would not or couldnot deal with them. Glenn :lol:
Old 05-15-2010, 04:43 PM

Thanks, Billy!
Old 05-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Banned

Okay I started the one for the cleaning but please do not post on that one yet until I get the tutorial finished. I posted the shopping list for the materials it will take to clean you machines. By the time I get to finishing the tute you should have everything ready for the cleaning process.

If you have any questions or comments then make them here or in the Vintage Sewing machine Shop.

Thank you guys for all of you patience and enthusiasm for these wonderful machines!!!

Billy
Old 05-15-2010, 06:17 PM

Billy I remember you said you have some parts for sale. Can I get a case of PATIENCE! Or maybe some fast acting kerosene. Watching and waiting :(

Other question, does the kerosene damage the decals? I have gotten some on the base and just wanted to know if I need to be more careful.

Waiting for the kerosene to work
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68323[/ATTACH]

Do I take off the lever to the right and spring?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68324[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-68318.jpe
Views:	30
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	68323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-68319.jpe
Views:	27
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	68324  
Old 05-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Billy I remember you said you have some parts for sale. Can I get a case of PATIENCE! Or maybe some fast acting kerosene. Watching and waiting :(

Other question, does the kerosene damage the decals? I have gotten some on the base and just wanted to know if I need to be more careful.
Your doing good and no it will not hurt the decals as long as you wipe it up not long after it is on the surface. Heck I have submerged machines in 5 gallon buckets full of kerosene for days and it did not hurt them but every machine has a different type of Shellac or varnish on them to protect the decals. If there is a lot od cracking or crazing it could hurt them so I always test a small area on the rear of the pillar just in case. But it will have a tendency to milk u the finish that will come off when you use Go Jo.

And leave the lever and the spring they are not in the way of anything. The only reason I took the Presserfoot bar out of my machine is because it was in the way of one screw. I wanted the leaver out s o I could do a proper polish to it.

Billy
Old 05-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict

Your doing good and no it will not hurt the decals as long as you wipe it up not long after it is on the surface. Heck I have submerged machines in 5 gallon buckets full of kerosene for days and it did not hurt them but every machine has a different type of Shellac or varnish on them to protect the decals. If there is a lot od cracking or crazing it could hurt them so I always test a small area on the rear of the pillar just in case. But it will have a tendency to milk u the finish that will come off when you use Go Jo.

And leave the lever and the spring they are not in the way of anything. The only reason I took the Presserfoot bar out of my machine is because it was in the way of one screw. I wanted the leaver out s o I could do a proper polish to it.

Billy
Old 05-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Google Goddess

awesome, thanks for all of your time in creating these tutorials for us,
Old 05-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Banned

thank you for doing that, I am a visual learner, so things can be difficult for me. thank you again and God bless. Penny