Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • REASON for increase in fabric prices? >
  • REASON for increase in fabric prices?

• REASON for increase in fabric prices?

Old 05-31-2010, 09:00 AM

Is there ever really a REASON for increases in anything? Oh, I'll still use my LQS, but I will also look for LOTS of sales.
    Old 05-31-2010, 09:29 AM

[quote]If supply and demand goes into effect, i.e. people not purchasing enough of the product, than the prices will go back down. [quote]

I'm thinking this - at first, if people stop buying, the stores will raise prices to try to recoup some of their costs. Until they realize we are not buying from them At All. Then at that point maybe they will lower their prices in order to dump some of their inventory.

But I think a boycott/moratorium would drive prices up at first.

Or maybe not ;)
    Old 05-31-2010, 10:28 AM

I prefer to shopat my LQS and will pay the full price if it is something I need immediately.
    I do try to take advantage of the sales and one shop is having their last fat quarter annual sale at the price of $1. ea if you buy 25. Unsure why except this may be in anticipation of price increases.
    I am working with some of Connecting Threads fabric and find it frays too much. I still have alot of yardage but will use itup and not buy any more. I remember when they had good fabric, soft and silky finish to it.Wish they still had it as I liked shopping with them.
    Old 05-31-2010, 10:53 AM

This increased price in our shop is not so much the price of the fabric but the cost of the shipping that we get charged to receive it. It is outragious!
    Old 05-31-2010, 11:05 AM

I haven't paid attention to prices lately, as my New Year's Resolution was to use what I already have and not buy any that I don't NEED to finish a particular project. I did buy a bunch at $3 a yard when our Guild had a sale of the fabrics left behind when one of our members passed. She left three bedrooms FULL of fabrics, with even more in totes in the garage. Seeing it taught me to appreciate what I have, and use it, not just leave bins for others to paw over when I'm gone.

Probably when I'm ready to step into an LQS again I'll fall over from the increased prices of fabrics.
    Old 05-31-2010, 11:11 AM

Good topic! Good information!
    Old 05-31-2010, 12:53 PM

Glad to know Connecting Threads is made here, will shop them more.
    Old 05-31-2010, 01:43 PM
    JJs
    Banned

our local wm raised their prices...
    Old 05-31-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by mgshaw
    This increased price in our shop is not so much the price of the fabric but the cost of the shipping that we get charged to receive it. It is outragious!
    there is nothing outrageous about the cost of shipping... i work for the largest privately owned ltl (less than truckload) company in the country. our 2nd largest expediture is fuel..labor is first...

so all the 200 bldgs we own or lease, all the thousands of trailers & tractors, including maintainence, forklifts, insurance, etc etc etc...still the 2nd largest cost is fuel that gets pass on in the form of a fuel surcharge that is reset weekly depending on the national average price of diesel fuel this week it was 20 1/2 %... and every carrier charges it, they have to, in order to pay the bills... does it suck? yes it does. is it outrageous to make a reasonable profit & employee about 15000 people... no it is not.
    Old 05-31-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
    Yes I'd like to know too.

BTW I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday and all their calico is 30% off so I bought 12 yds!!
    Hobby Lobby is ALWAYS 30% off. I was told by one clerk that's so you can't use the 40% off coupon. Some clerks will chg. the reg. price and discount the 40%, some stick to headquarter rules and won't. The discount coupons apply to reg. priced merchandise.