Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I started this a year and a half ago and I have no desire to finish it >

I started this a year and a half ago and I have no desire to finish it

I started this a year and a half ago and I have no desire to finish it

Old 06-23-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
It looks okay to me. But you know what? If you hate it, just stop. If you hate these blocks so much, don't use them for your BFF. Cut them apart and sew em back together with a bright kid novelty. Nine blocks makes a cute baby quilt. Donate it to project Linus or Quilts for Kids-- some baby will be comforted and some mother will love it!

Check out new magazines and books. Look through your stash. Go to the quilt shop. Design another quilt for your BFF, and get to gettin it done. Life is short. So sew quilts!
You want to know what is funny is I did start cutting blocks out for another quilt for her but I really love the colors and was thinking I might have to keep it. Ok now I am just being bad.
Now that is something I can relate too! :lol:

I think once it is done you will be very happy with it, especially if you love the colors. A lot of times the quilting can cover up any mistakes (I don't see them but then, usually it's the maker of the quilt who notices all the smallest imperfections). I think the suggestion to do a little each day is a great idea. And won't your bff be surprised when you give her the quilt! :thumbup:
Old 06-23-2010, 04:29 PM

I did that! I finally had a friend give me a boost with it and got me back on track. Top is complete but I might put another border on and wala from there! I sure did want to toss it for a long time, glad I hung in there with it although it was a major heachache! Do yourself a favor and tuck it away for awhile, you can always give it away later if you want! For now start something you love!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by carrieg
I've made 2 quilts that were on-point and they are difficult for me. Piece the blocks, that will get a big chunk done. Then get some more help here with the setting triangles. Do it with love!!

So far from this picture, your points in the blocks look great!
So finish the square part. If you already have the blocks made you are in great shape. Connect with the sashing in rows (vertically - yes, I know it's on point. Figure out which is vertical!) Then.... figure out the setting triangles. Cut a square that equals the length of finished block plus 1 1/4". You can cut them bigger too and have the option of "floating" it before the borders. Cut that square on both diagonals. Attach to ends of rows. Then horizontal sashing goes on. Do all the tops - or all the bottoms. Mark, mark, mark - to connect one row to another precisely. I usually do the top and bottom halves separately so I have two big triangles to sew to together to complete the top. When you've gotten that far, cut the corner triangles. Add 7/8" to the short edge of the corner sashing strip length. Or more if you decide to float it. Cut 2. Then cut on one diagonal. Attach.
I realize that you probably know all of this stuff but just can't get a move on with it. Do it or dump it? I'd hate to waste the time that I had invested especially since it already has a "home" and a purpose. It's your choice but I do like the colors a lot and think it's worth finishing. And if you won't finish it - give it to someone who will!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

Do you have all the blocks done? If yes, it would be a shame to toss it out. (It is pretty).

Here is how I would tackle it:
1. Finish all the blocks
2. Cut the sashing to border the blocks
3. Sew the sashing to the side of the blocks
4. Lay the blocks into the pattern and sew the rows WITHOUT the setting triangle.
5. Cut the sashing pieces and corner stones.
6. Sew the sashing rows
7. Add the setting triangles
8. Add the sashing rows.
9. Sew the sashed rows together.

It helps me to break a project (particularly one I am not fond of) into individual steps. Then I can work to a clean stopping point and most importantly, CHECK something OFF the list.

Good luck. If you want to do it - you can do it.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:40 PM

I think you should move on to plan B. Make her a quilt that YOU find exciting and you enjoy working on. I needs to be a labor of love and not one of dread. I've been thinking about passing on my UFO's that just doesn't do it for me. Someone else may really like them and see them as a treasure. Right now they're taking up space and I know in my heart I'll never finish them.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

What's pictured looks nice.

I think the suggestion to measure the blocks to check against the sashing measurements is an excellent one.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:47 PM

Oh yeah- love the old fashioned look of the colors of it...shoot... send it to me and you can always make her another one...hee hee
Old 06-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Banned

i don't see what you mean by it not lining up. i think it looks fantastic and i'd finish it. :thumbup:
Old 06-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Sorry cjomomma .. I tend to argee with patrice on this one. If you don't want to finish it, then don't. But, I also say starch the dickens out of that unrully sashing pieces, measure them to make sure they are right and finish it. It will be a learning experiance, and you will feel good about it when it is done.

Sometimes I set a timer and work on something I am not wanting to do. I do for that long and no longer. Then as it gets bigger, I want to finish it and I am happier with the outcome.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:01 PM

I am not an expert quilter but I think the blocks look very nice and I love the colors but if you are not happy with it then make your friend something new and look at this one later. If you still hate it trade it with someone or give it to someone elst to finish. You might like it later when you are not so aggravated with it. Whatever just be happy with what you decide.