Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country. >
  • Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

• Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:36 AM

We call it Tornado alley in Texas. Does that stinky stuff help the corn grow?
    Old 06-25-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by granny_59
    after living/working two years in St. Barbara/California (1984-86) we went off with an RV for a seven month trip across the US, Canada and a bit of Mexico and we were confronted with quite a bit of misconceptions against californians because we where travelling with a californian licensplate.
    The minute we outed ourselfs as swiss (proved with bad english and swiss chocolate) the situation was much better!?
    I believe this! While doing course work at THE Ohio State University in Columbus, and field work in the local schools, one of the kindergarten students asked me and my 2 fellow Californians, "What PLANET are you from?"
    I think many non-Californians have the impression that we are all drug-using, beach bums!!! LOL
    :lol:
    Old 06-25-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by stillwaters
    Originally Posted by granny_59
    after living/working two years in St. Barbara/California (1984-86) we went off with an RV for a seven month trip across the US, Canada and a bit of Mexico and we were confronted with quite a bit of misconceptions against californians because we where travelling with a californian licensplate.
    The minute we outed ourselfs as swiss (proved with bad english and swiss chocolate) the situation was much better!?
    I believe this! While doing course work at THE Ohio State University in Columbus, and field work in the local schools, one of the kindergarten students asked me and my 2 fellow Californians, "What PLANET are you from?"
    I think many non-Californians have the impression that we are all drug-using, beach bums!!! LOL
    :lol:
    That is too cute. I have known some like that though.
    Old 06-25-2010, 11:51 AM

Arkansas - we must have the same news crew as Mississippi. NO I'm not barefoot AND pregnant. We don't fight like the Hatfields and McCoys. There are quite a few of us who are educated. We don't dress like Lil'Abner and Daisy Mae. Though I wish I had Daisy's figure. LOL. We don't live in shacks and hunt for our dinner.
    We have a beautiful state. YeeHaa Yall!
    Originally Posted by mollymct
    We wear shoes in Mississippi! If we want to! LOL. I don't believe we are decades behind the rest of the U.S. Though there are many rural areas, we have cities also. Some Mississippians have never set an unshod toe on a farm!

Not all of speak with a drawl (though I probably do!). And typically "movie" southern accents are horribly inaccurate!!

I think education is very important here and my public school education was excellent. It is true though if there is a disaster the news crew is certain to find a toothless, bedraggled and generally pitiful specimin of humanity to represent us. Does that happen in your state?
    Old 06-25-2010, 12:17 PM

Most of us are not illegals either...

Originally Posted by JanetM
    California:

Not all of us are blond and tan
    Most of us do not surf
    We are not all nuts
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 06-25-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
    The Greater Los Angeles area. No - I don't see movie stars at the grocery store, in fact nowhere I go! It isn't always sunny with perfect weather. Not everyone has a swimming pool. I don't even have a palm tree in my yard.
    I am sorry to learn that not everyone in Switzerland eats chocolate all the time. I would have moved there for that.
    I live in the suburbs, but within 2 miles of my home I can see a couple different herds of cattle and some of the most gorgeous Arabian horses anywhere! (Kellogg Arabians) In fact, I greet the horses almost every day, on my way to work. It isn't all smog & traffic here.
    Once, I visited some friends in Idaho & was there for my friend's high school graduation. They had recently sold some property, and their Mom bought a new Cadillac for herself. Many of their relatives, when they saw it, figured it must be mine, since I was from CA!!! (Oh, did I mention I was only 18 at the time?)
    Old 06-25-2010, 01:28 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
    We call it Tornado alley in Texas. Does that stinky stuff help the corn grow?
    yep! Anhydrous is fertilizer. Some farmers use chemical weed killers but alot of them don't anymore.

Whenever we would drive by a field where you could smell manure or anhydrous on the field my grandpa would say Smell that money!!! Meaning the profit that would come after selling the corn or beans. Iowa grows probably equal amts of corn and soy beans.
    Old 06-25-2010, 01:48 PM

I have lived in a lot of places in my life (father in the service). Anyway, as a kid, when I found out we were planning on moving from FL to AZ, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why anyone would live in Arizona - all that's there are Indians (picture, if you will, Indians, riding on horseback, with bow and arrow) and desert. Yeah, the desert. It does have it's own beauty and mostly it is a dry heat. We do have modern conveniences here, too. Best of all, we have the Grand Canyon. I'm trying to figure out a way to get out of here, though. HATE these summers (can't beat our winters though!) My goal is to be a snowbird, cuz I can't handle the cold either.

Used to live in AK, NE, VA, CO, ID, UT, England and Spain and I can tell you, there are WONDERFUL people everywhere.

Thanks for a fun thread - I've read every one.
    Old 06-25-2010, 01:56 PM

I also would like to thank everyone for this thread. I have loved reading everyones comments and learning more. Judy
    Old 06-25-2010, 02:44 PM

misconception...Florida is all seniors and Snow Birds....LOL... I am a native Floridian,living in Ga for 4 yrs. Grew up in PalmBeach Co. Right on the shores of Lake Okeechobee and spent 99 percent of my married life right there.. Snowbirds are FL. name for Yankees,No Offense, just what it is. There are a lot of Senior Villages, like Century Village in West Palm. They do have an influx of immgrnts that was getting pretty hugh when I left. But as they say you get the muck between your toes it never leaves. True once a muck girl always a muck girl The muck is know as Black Gold in the Glades area from witch I came.. LOL!!!! Still do love my Georgia though,The Good ole Boys you know....LOL!!! The area I came from was once the capitol of Fresh veg.Crops. still a lot in what they call the salad bowl and a lot of millionaires at Wellington,Prince plays polo. But it isn't all beaches and Sunshine a lot of poverty and the outs for the young is Football, Anquan Boldin,Anton Smith for a couple a lot more. Was a paraprof.for those 2. Not a football person but if you are you know their names. BillsBonBon