Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your current project? >

What's your current project?

What's your current project?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:18 AM

I like to work on several quilts at one time, this way I can either cut, piece, or quilt, what ever calls me that day. And whatever colors I feel like that day as well.

The 2 main projects I am working on are quilts for my granddaughters. I am making the same pattern, Winning Hand by Quilt in a day. But different fabrics, one is the Hawthorne Fairy fabrics from the books by Cicely Mary Barker, as well as the Magical Fairy also by Cicely Mary Barker,with coordinating fabrics. I got the fabrics from Keepsake Quilting. Since the main fabric has a large repeat, when it came to the backing, I ran out of material, so I decided to use the panel kit with coordinating material for the backing, this way it is reversible.

With my left over fabrics from the girls quilts I am making a Rail Fence pattern for their American Girl Dolls. They love coordinating outfits, so I thought I'd make coordinating quilts. This also gives me something different to work on when the mood strikes.

As for the label, I'm new to that. I took about a 15 year break in quilting and am just back to it. I have a quilt to send my daughter-in-law soon, "Three wishes" from Hoffman, with 10 different Hoffman fabrics and I'm still wondering exactly what I want to say, and how to do it. I like to write short poems, so will probably try something like that.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:18 AM

First of all, I quilt as a hobby ... a creative outlet.

Currently, I am working on 4 projects. #One is the first quilt I ever pieced (over 10 years ago) ... I'm hand quilting it; king sized (for DH) with MANY different fabrics in it and I'm only about half-way done. #Two is another king sized quilt (for me) that is already sewn together (SID) and bound and now I'm hand stitching a stencil design in each of the 100 blocks ... I hope to be finished that one by this coming winter. #Three is practicing FMQ ... I try to do some of that on a daily basis, but do not always manage. #Four is a new piecing project, a quilt called "Hanging Gardens" where I am choosing colors for each block as I go along, which is challenging and great fun ... am not sure yet what the finished size will be. In Hanging Gardens, I'm trying to use as many Bali 2-1/2" strips (left over from my last piecing project) as possible. This new project is in spite of the fact that I have 2 large plastic boxes with finished tops stored in them.

I put completion date on my labels (but NOT start date), my name, & any other info. pertinent to that particular quilt.

Unless I should get a specific request from a friend or relative (to do a wall hanging, for example), I only ever make bed or lap quilts. I have no interest in nor any place to hang quilts, whatever the size.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
I am curious about what everyone is working on. I love to chat with quilters about works-in-progress and recently completed works. I'm sure this topic has been done before, but there are some specific questions I would like to ask. I'm a writer and English teacher--it's what I do so indulge me, please.

Here are my questions: What do you hope the project will look like? Colors? Size? Which techniques are you using? How will it be used--bed quilt, art, table topper, etc. Who is it for? Why are you making it? Is it a gift, to celebrate a special occassion, or just for fun? Approximately how much will it cost? How did you come up with the idea? What will you write on the label--other than your name, the date, size and title. What is the title of the project? Did I miss anything?
Right now I'm working on a quilt for my son, to be used on a double bed.
Story:
He's 25, but when he was 2 he fell asleep on our outside swing clutching his golf club. When he was 10 we let him join a summer junior golf league and in high school he was on the high school team. He was no 'great' golfer, but had some wins along the way that boosted his self esteem in everything, and he even went to the local community college because he could be on their golf team, they wanted him. At one of their tournaments he got a hole in one. Like I said, he's not great, but he's good. This is the first year he's paid for a membership to the local course and looked into buying a house that was for sale on that course, but it was in the process of being sold. I though, hey, he's going to need something for his bed when he does get a house, so I'm making a golf related quilt, just for him. It's not perfect, like his golfing my quilting is good but not great. He doesn't know about this, the secretness of it is almost driving me crazy, but I can do it
It's my first attempt at making a quilt completely by machine and it really didn't cost anything since I've had the fabric for over a 3 years, but it probably cost $40 originally
Old 06-26-2010, 10:23 AM

Hunters star and clothes for my grandaughter.

Sharon
Old 06-26-2010, 11:19 AM

I just finished a courthouse log cabin for a wedding gift. Have a red white and blue baby quilt rail fence for a great grandson due in Aug. Have pieces together to start on a purples and white for one great granddaughter and a pinks and white for the other one. Trying to think of a pattern for another great grandson due 1st of nov. Any ideas has to be blues
Old 06-26-2010, 11:31 AM

I am working on several different projects. as always. :D
For handwork time, usually evenings or when I have to go sit somewhere,
1. Hoffman challenge quilt. I am hand piecing this, and need to finish it up. Hasn't told me its name yet. It is in blues, blue-greens, greens and a bit of yellow. And I will add some gold lame to pick up the gold in the focal fabric.

2. Working on several hand applique projects, mostly Santas that will be gifts to my family members in honor of my mom. She collected Santa Claus stuff and this will be something to remember her at the holidays.

3. Need to get finished with the hand quilting of my "Dear Jane" quilt. Am working on the borders now.

At the machine:
1. Need to bind a quilt that is a donation for a "home" out of state.

2. Class samples..... always doing these. Since I teach at 2 shops and like to have samples with current fabrics in them.
Samples include both quilts and bags (I teach a Bag Lady Club at each shop so I make an average of at least 2 bags a month.)

3. Hoffman Challenge bag. Another using the Hoffman Challenge fabric and some coordinates. Still working on the design for this one.

Then there are many WIPs and PHDs that need to be worked on. sigh.

Should be in at the machine now, instead of here. <VBG>
Old 06-26-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
I am curious about what everyone is working on. I love to chat with quilters about works-in-progress and recently completed works. I'm sure this topic has been done before, but there are some specific questions I would like to ask. I'm a writer and English teacher--it's what I do so indulge me, please.

Here are my questions: What do you hope the project will look like? Colors? Size? Which techniques are you using? How will it be used--bed quilt, art, table topper, etc. Who is it for? Why are you making it? Is it a gift, to celebrate a special occassion, or just for fun? Approximately how much will it cost? How did you come up with the idea? What will you write on the label--other than your name, the date, size and title. What is the title of the project? Did I miss anything?
That's a lot of questions. Right now I have several quilts in progress. There are two twin scrap quilts for great nieces, one pink/yellow/orange queen size quilt for a granddaughter, two quilts from a block of the month from a quilt shop, and three wall hangings made with pieces from a bridesmaid dress.

I really don't know how much each of them will cost. The most expensive ones will be the two from the BOM. The first one is the one I got from the shop and the second one is made from another fabric collection that I bought at full price.

The pink/yellow/orange quilt is made from fat quarters pulled from my stash. So they were likely bought over a period of time at various prices.

The three "memorial to a bridesmaid dress" wall hangings are because my mother in law made her three over 45 daughter in laws wear bridesmaid dresses.

My labels always have "name of the quilt" made especially for _____ by their gramma/aunt/friend/whatever in "year"

The majority of my quilts are made for relatives and they're just because. I do not make quilts for holidays because it's too much pressure to try and meet a specific deadline. I don't keep track of how much they cost. I don't care.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:35 PM

I have several WIPs, but the one that is closest to my heart is a quilt I am making for my son-in-law out of his youngest son's bibs. Brady died. He died on his 6th birthday. He had a trach from the time he was 13 months old and wore a bib ALL the time. He had many bibs, special gifts from family trips, hospital stays, holidays, sports themes. This has been very hard for me to work on because my heart still hurts just thinking about him. But it has been close to 2 1/2 years so I am going to get this done. It is turning out to be very plain. Appliqued the bibs onto squares. Using colorful stripe and plaid
for sashing and because he loves cars and trucks so much I am going to applique vehicles all around the borders. I have worked on it approx 2 full days so far, took a break to find car patterns, will probably take another week to complete. I can't remember all the questions you wanted answered. I will probably put something like "In memory of a most beautiful, brave and loving little boy...Brady."
Old 06-26-2010, 01:05 PM

Polly, You broke my heart. How wonderful of you to make this quilt. It will be a treasure for your son-in-law. I hope that you post a picture. My sympathies to you & your family. Debbie

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I have several WIPs, but the one that is closest to my heart is a quilt I am making for my son-in-law out of his youngest son's bibs. Brady died. He died on his 6th birthday. He had a trach from the time he was 13 months old and wore a bib ALL the time. He had many bibs, special gifts from family trips, hospital stays, holidays, sports themes. This has been very hard for me to work on because my heart still hurts just thinking about him. But it has been close to 2 1/2 years so I am going to get this done. It is turning out to be very plain. Appliqued the bibs onto squares. Using colorful stripe and plaid
for sashing and because he loves cars and trucks so much I am going to applique vehicles all around the borders. I have worked on it approx 2 full days so far, took a break to find car patterns, will probably take another week to complete. I can't remember all the questions you wanted answered. I will probably put something like "In memory of a most beautiful, brave and loving little boy...Brady."
Old 06-26-2010, 01:55 PM

I am working on a baby quilt for my great-nephew who is expecting twins, a cover for my sewing machine and have bought the material for a bow tucks purse. I also have some shirts to embroider my son-in-law's logo on. I LOVE retirement!!!