Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Irons >

Irons

Irons

Old 07-22-2010, 04:20 AM

Well I like the Rowenta also.
have a small steam travel iron that works great for piecing
but they are pricey $50
but I go thru irons really fast some only last a few weeks some a few months.
I have a cordless ORECK that I have used daily for over a year great iron! Lots of steam!
yesterday while checking out the thrift store I found another one in new condition for $9.99!
needless to say it came home with me along with a vintage travel iron for $4.99!
Old 07-22-2010, 04:27 AM

I have a Euro-pro with the steam tank underneath. Its over 15 years and looks and works like new.I can use the iron in any direction to steam clothes, pants, coats because there is no water in the iron its all in the tank and flows thru a hose connected to the electric cord. Super idea,
Old 07-22-2010, 04:48 AM

I have a Rowenta Powerglide 2 , which isn't made anymore. It does not have the auto shut off feature, which I don't want. When I'm piecing and pressing seam allowances, I want the iron to be hot when I want to use it. This iron is over 10 yrs. old, so I've been wondering how long before it dies. I picked up another Rowenta ( Focus) on sale at JoAnn's last month. This one also does not have the auto shut off. This is the only one of any brand, within my price range, that doesn't have the auto shut off. I really like the stainless sole plate, it slides easily across the fabric.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:13 AM

Love my Oliso, not having to lift it. The only thing I wish it was a retracable cord. But it definitely gets warm enough to press anything I need and I haven't found the auto off feature to be a problem since I'm usually up to the ironing board frequently once I turn it on.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:20 AM

I have had 3 Rowenta Irons. I love them because they are hot and have lots of steam. However, after !2 years they will not heat! Called their customer service, "no one has ever reported that problem before." Just got a Shark at Kohl's with a discount coupon and paid $31 for $49 iron. So far I like it. Has anyone else had similar problems with Rowenta irons?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 AM

Ditto!! I love my B&D.

Wini - House of BCC in Houston
Old 07-22-2010, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Grinster
I have had 3 Rowenta Irons. I love them because they are hot and have lots of steam. However, after !2 years they will not heat! Called their customer service, "no one has ever reported that problem before." Just got a Shark at Kohl's with a discount coupon and paid $31 for $49 iron. So far I like it. Has anyone else had similar problems with Rowenta irons?
I had one with the opposite problem....with a Rowenta it heated out of control, it actually melted the thread in one of my quilts ( I had used a poly cotton blend in the bobbin). It just kept getting hotter and hotter and not stopping, nor would it shut off of after no activity. This was after years of service, but the damage to the peiced units was ... huge. I had to re- stitch alot of work. I think the thermostat went ... My new one is doing fine 6 years with this one. Love the level of steam I get from the Rowenta.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:43 AM

My iron died the other day, had to replace it. I found a B&D at Target for $25.00. I've heard pros and cons about the Rowenta, but just couldn't shell out that much for an iron. So far I like the new one. And it beeps when it's shutting off!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 AM

I purchased an iron from walmart about a year ago for nine dollars, it is light weight and it is a steam iron.I love it.Beats my high priced one all the way around. I take it to retreats and the people usually come to use it.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:22 AM

I have an Oliso iron that has feet on the bottom. I do not prop it up: the feet come up on it. It was a bit pricey but I absolutely love it! It really cuts down on ironing time and is easier on my hand (carpel tunnel). I bought mine at shoppersrule.com. Sewing with Nancy also has it in her catalog.