Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Downsizing >

Downsizing

Downsizing

Old 07-26-2010, 04:35 PM

True, prices will go up, so organize your sewing room, maybe put UFOs on the side. If you still feel like getting rid of them in a few months, then do so. Sell them here and i'm sure someone won't mind finishing off your project.

Clear out your clutter. Sometimes an unorganized room makes us confused and unable to find stuff quickly. I organized my fabrics last week and felt better about how things fit now. It will also refresh your mind of your notions and stock of fabric.

I agree that if you feel overwhelmed with large projects, choose lap size quilts or make a small one and donate them. We quilters sometimes go unappreciated in our "other" lives. Someone will love your quilt.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Originally Posted by Joyce
When I am undecided about something I take sheet of paper with a line down the center. I would list all the reasons for keeping everything on the left side.
On the right side I would list all my reasons for letting it go.
The side that has the longest list wins.
This helps to give me some insight from my inner feelings as well. It may just be a temporary feeling. I wouldn't want to see you make a quick decision that you might regret later.
I really like what Joyce said. I'm also suffering from being overwhelmed. Right now I feel like I am too compulsive about buying too much and then getting overwhelmed with projects.
Yes it can appear funny (I've laughed right along with all of you about all our "stuff") but sometimes it feels awful !!

I really need to be more realistic and make better choices in my quilting adventures. It's not supposed to cause stress!!

You are not alone with those feelings. I think we all go through this at one time or another. This too will pass :)
Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 PM

I also am trying to downsize my stash by selling some of fabric and have offered 2 quilt tops. I have posted 13 so far and have lots more to get rid of, but have not sold anything yet and have only had 2 inquiries. I was very hopeful but am now not so sure. Sure could use the extra room and money. Hope it works better for you.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Power Poster

I would put the stuff in see through storage for now and revisit them from time to time to see if you want to eventually use them or sell, trade or just donate them.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:02 PM

it seems that selling stuff on here goes pretty good
good luck
Old 07-27-2010, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
Maybe you can organize a quilt donation construction day... that's what I'm planning to do with the majority of my unwanted stash.. I sold a lot of it on Craigslist and at yard sales - and I keep thinking I should list a lot of what I have here or on Ebay.. but for now I am planning a blanket making day this October and have a bunch of friends come over and sew up quilt tops to be donated to a local quilt shop that will back and quilt them up.

There are lots of charities - even the pillowcase one which I'm also considering.... I might just have to do both!

You got to do what makes you feel good though - and don't go too downsizing crazy cause you will give yourself a head slap when you find a project you want to make and be like oooh... I gave that away....

oooh - and also remember grocery bags! I make and give away to friends and relatives fabric grocery bags. I am all about helping others start to go green!
:thumbup:
Old 07-27-2010, 02:13 PM

Don't forget our Pass It Forward thread also. It's a good place to share our good fortune with others on this board and to pass unwanted things on to others who will put them to good use.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

You could do sampler quilts, and quilt as you go. God bless. Penny
Old 07-31-2010, 10:30 PM

I'm going through the same thing.:cry: But I decided to do small projects (ie. pillowcases, fabric bowls, notepad covers, potholders, coin purses). This keeps me busy and not overwhelming. It also has reduce my stash a lot too. This way I can work on my UFOs/large projects when I feel like I can conquer the world day. :mrgreen: I hope you'll decide to only sell/donate items you are sure you will never use again. I made the mistake last week when spring cleaning my studio. I tossed all my long selvages away. :oops: Three days later, I discovered I needed to have them for one of my small projects. So remember, when downsizing be very careful of what you get rid of. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-01-2010, 12:01 AM

Thank you. I think this is good advice. I am at the same place you were so I won't be too hasty to get rid of everything.
The bigger projects do have to wait until we can take on the world, don't they?