Newbies challenge

Old 08-01-2010, 03:49 PM

Yet an other newbie up for adoption!

I have no idea what FMQ, SMQ or FID mean! I do own a machine as well as a walking foot. My sewing table is even to the top of my sewing machine and I have made 4 quilts (this means that I took 4 courses). If you would like to adopt me, please contact me! Oh yeah, I am married and my husband pays for all my quilting stuff, so you won't have to buy me anything! LOL
Old 08-01-2010, 09:41 PM

Tape a playing card or index card over the top of the feed dogs and give free motion quilting a try that way.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 PM

I tried wearing regular rubber dishwashing gloves, the rubber fingertips you can buy at business supply stores, and cotton gardening gloves with the palm and finger rubberized surface to get a good grip on my fabric while attempting to free motion quilt. If you don't have something to help grip, your hands will get fatigued way too quickly, and that's discouraging.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:34 PM

pink is my favorite color so if you get to a point and want to get rid of some of your quilting fabric let me know! one can never have to much pink fabric!!! LOL
Old 08-02-2010, 03:45 PM

The quilt in your avatar is fabulous!
Originally Posted by Pinkbutterflyquilter
pink is my favorite color so if you get to a point and want to get rid of some of your quilting fabric let me know! one can never have to much pink fabric!!! LOL
Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 AM

Hey Pink, I am making the quilt in your avatar
Old 08-03-2010, 11:10 AM

cool!!! i WANT things to settle down so i can get back to working on mine! I just finished a quilt for my son made from army uniforms he is a Army Airborne Ranger in Afghanistan. Before that it was a quilt for my grandmother who is in a nursing home. But i did get paid for a twin for a lady at work for her daughter. Everyone comes first it seems. I have to learn to say no! LOL LOL Plus i am learning a new way to applique so i am wanting to use it on this quilt if it works out.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:18 AM

I'm a newbie, but am unsure. How can it work outside of sharing easy patterns? Can you show me how to cut to be sure my fabric is "square"? Can you show me techniques helpful in sewing blocks together? I'm impatient in wanting to know "it all"! My sewing time is evening after work and supper is cleaned up and have to be in bed by 10 to get up at 4 AM and start over. Am I worth adopting? What about when I run into a snag?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by 3TreeFrog
Yet an other newbie up for adoption!

I have no idea what FMQ, SMQ or FID mean! I do own a machine as well as a walking foot. My sewing table is even to the top of my sewing machine and I have made 4 quilts (this means that I took 4 courses). If you would like to adopt me, please contact me! Oh yeah, I am married and my husband pays for all my quilting stuff, so you won't have to buy me anything! LOL

I'm with you....FMQ, SMQ, FID and a few other abbreviations on here could be makes of cars as far as I'm concerned. While others may know and get tired of reading/seeing/spelling these all out, please fill in for us "newbies". I'm on quilt #6 since January of this year, I tie all of mine, and give them to the grandkids! I buy my own supplies, but my husband has made a sewing table extension for me, helped me with a support leg for it, etc.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:05 PM

I have a mommy now - or I should call her a quilting buddy - because we are exactly a year apart! thank you to my angel buddy! :-D