Newbies challenge

Old 08-04-2010, 06:02 AM

I'm new to the board, but as I've read through these responses I've noticed there are many, many new quilters that are confused by the letters we use to refer to various aspects of quilting. Is there a place, or could we add a place, where these could be listed and defined?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:06 AM

Randa, I'll be happy to be your "mommy". You work the hours I used to work before I retired! I'll send you a PM (private message). I have a camera and, if you need to "see" something, I can email you a picture! I'm not a master quilter, but I can teach you the basics.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:23 PM

I am still up for adoption! While I took four classes, they were basic classes.
1.How to cut & measure properly using your rotary cutter and board.
2.How to make a rag quilt.
3.How to make a table runner.
4.How to install a binding. (Not on a full quilt, however just to get the idea of how to do it right) Not of any value for a rag quilt!
Tree Frog
Old 08-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 3TreeFrog
I am still up for adoption! While I took four classes, they were basic classes.
1.How to cut & measure properly using your rotary cutter and board.
2.How to make a rag quilt.
3.How to make a table runner.
4.How to install a binding. (Not on a full quilt, however just to get the idea of how to do it right) Not of any value for a rag quilt!
Tree Frog
I am willing to be your "quilting mommy" contact me via PM and we can set up phone time I have unlimited phone service so its not a problem.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:19 PM

You have a good heart. Teaching others to do something you love to do makes you happy
Old 08-05-2010, 07:55 AM

I am up for adoption too!!! I know some of the basics of quilting and realize I still have alot to learn if someone were want to teach me.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by quazyquilter
I would like to challenge all the "veteran" quilters on this board to find a "newbie" and adopt one. I have taken one under my wing, so to speak and I am teaching her to quilt via this board, e-mail and the phone.
There are some "newbies" out there that would probably welcome our help and guidance and have lots of questions that maybe they are too shy to ask, or they may not know how to ask about certain things, for fear that they will be considered "dumb questions".
So, QUILTERS,UNITE!!!

p.s. don't take butterjoy, she's mine! :lol: :D :roll:
I'm new to the party. I'm a quilting newbie, have only 2 finished lap quilts and 2 works in progress, both queensize (approx) thrown together quilt-tops. I am into outdoor -themed quilts and super-heroes! I'm of the Dorky-homeade look philosophy of quilting. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it.
Is there hope for me? Is there a mommy out there for me? Or perhaps a mentor daughter? I'm 54 years old and I never was much of a seamstress - think seventh grade home-ec. I do my quilting by sewing machine (Singer's Quilter Companion).
Old 08-05-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by xenodeno
I'm new to the party. I'm a quilting newbie, have only 2 finished lap quilts and 2 works in progress, both queensize (approx) thrown together quilt-tops. I am into outdoor -themed quilts and super-heroes! I'm of the Dorky-homeade look philosophy of quilting. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it.
Is there hope for me? Is there a mommy out there for me? Or perhaps a mentor daughter? I'm 54 years old and I never was much of a seamstress - think seventh grade home-ec. I do my quilting by sewing machine (Singer's Quilter Companion).
I'd be glad to be your quilting friend - can't be a mommy because we are too close in age! :lol: If you haven't had someone else volunteer, let me know. I will answer any questions, and find answers if I don't know.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Banned

I will adopt a newbie.....Anyone in Michigan? of course, that doesn't even matter.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Banned

I can help you..