Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Whats for dinner? >

Whats for dinner?

Whats for dinner?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:23 AM

Leftover cold tuna salad:

About 3 c. cooked, cooled elbow macaroni (
5 oz. foil pkg Albacore tuna, packed in water (very little water so no need to drain)
1 T. finely diced onion (optional)
1 c. finely diced celery
3 T. minced fresh Italian parsley
1 1/3 c. salad dress (Miracle Whip) or mayonnaise (enough to make it as creamy as you like it) or use 1 c. salad dressing and 1/4-1/3 c. dill dip (has sour cream, onion and dill)
Lemon pepper or Lime pepper, healthy sprinkle
Taragon (optional, a good sprinkle)

Top with: Crushed, toasted almond (I use salted one but don't add any more salt to salad)

After cooking macaroni until tender but not mushy, rinse in cold water and add ice cubes to cool it fast. Make sure to remove any unmelted ice before putting it into a bowl. Flake up the tuna and add to macaroni along with remaining ingredients. Sprinkle with toasted almond pieces before serving. Can serve on lettuce if you wish.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:03 PM

Tonight we are having leftover pesto chicken, homemade noodles, and corn on the cobb. I made the pesto and noodles yesterday. For desert it's lemon curd on biscuits. (Made that yesterday too!!)

For the pesto chicken, I arrange chicken breasts in a glass pan, smear with pesto, cover with tin foil, and bake at 350 for about 1 1/2 hours. I like my chicken to fall apart :)
Old 08-20-2010, 06:27 AM

tonight is left over BBQ Smoked Pork Steaks. DH works for a large Factory based corporation. They really appreciate their employees and yesterday brought in 1" thick BBQ smoked pork steaks, they are the size of a pork roast, 1 will feed all three of us! This was just a at-a boy lunch for doing a good job.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

Last night I made stuffed peppers with the garden peppers. It was so good! I work toight, so left overs tonight!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:43 AM

Last night I made a REALLY good pasta sauce!

Butter, broccoli, garlic, half and half (Instead of heavy cream), shredded mozzarella, and parsley.

So good! Served it with chicken and pasta shells.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:18 PM

Tonight we had Eye of Round roast with fresh peas and carrots and pasta shells with gravy and for dessert Lemon Cake with Lemon Srop Frosting.
Gail in Victorville Ca.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:59 PM

Where is everyone? We had Scalloped Potatoes W/ Ham and a salad and watermelon for dessert.
I will have leftovers tonight Its clean out the frig night
Old 08-25-2010, 03:24 PM

Steak with likely corn on the cob and maybe some potatoes or a salad. Not sure yet!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:29 PM

What nobody eating anymore? We had homemade tomato basil soup and bread sticks for dinner tonight.
What did you all have?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
Tonight, in Gainesville, Florida, we are serving American Goulash, a recipe right out of the 1950's; serves one teenager. It may seem like a fussier preparation than you'd expect, but after 30 years of making this recipe, I like this way best. You will note that there is no salt added separately for seasoning - the canned tomatoes, worcestershire sauce and top-quality cheese add enough salt for our family's palate, and keeps the taste fresh and light. Adjust for salt at the end.

2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked

4 cups cooking water from the macaroni
2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 (15-ounce) cans seasoned diced tomatoes [OR 1 (28-oz.) can]
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
3 bay leaves

2 pounds lean ground beef

2 large yellow onions, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, diced

Grated best-quality parmesan or grada padano cheese for garnish

Cook the macaroni in salted boiling water until 3/4 done BUT SAVE 4 CUPS OF THE COOKING LIQUID, discarding the rest. To the retained cooking liquid, add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and seasonings. Blend well and set aside. Keep the almost-cooked macaroni in another bowl (or still in the strainer) separate from the tomato-cooking liquid mixture.

In a Dutch oven, saute the ground beef (maybe with a very little bit of vegetable oil) over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Break up the meat while sauteing. Drain thoroughly, remove the meat from the cooking pot and put the meat on top of the cooling macaroni - no need to blend the two. Or put the beef on a plate - just don't add it to the tomato-cooking liquid mixture.

In the Dutch oven, saute the onions and bell pepper in a little vegetable oil until it just starts to get brown on the edges. Add everything else to the Dutch oven, and stir well. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaves, and let sit about 30 minutes more before serving. Taste for salt and adjust if needed.
I can remember my dad making this for us on nites my Mom was not at home. One of his favorite thjings to make. Brings back lots of wonderful memories.