Doggy having Seizures...

Old 09-15-2010, 06:08 PM

I had a pug that had sizures. The vets put her on pheobarbal and a compound drug-- potasium bromin. Check with you Vet and see if this might help your baby. We had test run when she started and they told us dogs normally will start having them at age 3 if they are going to have them. Good luck
Old 09-16-2010, 01:37 PM

Get second opinion we had to put our sheltie down June 28th she was 8 1/2 Brittany was her name. She and my hybby were a therapy team would go into the hospital for patients. She ended up have a massive stroke and seizures with it and we had to put her down. Just got Maggie an 8 week old sheltie...we love them and this is the thrid one . Good luck its heart wrenching to watch...
Old 09-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Absolutely get another opinion, and don't leave out the part about the agressive behaviour following the seizures.

I had a Weimeraner (3 yrs. at the time) who had a seizure in our yard (I thought he'd been snake-bitten). My husband, neighbor, and I got him on a blanket(he was a big dog)and rushed him off to the vet. The dog couldn't even get up, so they gurneyed him into the office. Turns out it was epilepsy, and we started him on Phenobarb right away. He never did have another seizure, but a year later had a gastric torsion and we ended up having to euthanize him. I have no idea if that was related to the meds or not......
Old 09-16-2010, 03:03 PM

IT IS hard to Know what to do for them mine is in kidney faolure and when she is in pain she shivers (I give her metcam). I have asked the vet if she should be put down but the vet says my dog still has quality of life and I will know when that time comes.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 PM

I can attest personally to the effect of seizure medicine. When I was 42, I started having seizures out of the blue. No family history, nothing showed up on the MRI, EEG. My neurologist put me on Tegretol (after trying a new med that I was allergic to).

It was awful getting used to it. At first I felt extremely drugged: heavy in the limbs, dopey tired all the time. The worst part though was that I would lose my train of thought in the middle of a sentence and couldn't remember what I was talking about. I also couldn't think of words when I need to. (Worse than the old age thing I have now). I adapted eventually, but the memory/word loss never really went away.

After four or five years my doctor took me off. Because of the type of seizure I had, my brain reset after that many years on the medication.

If I didn't know how invasive the medicine was, I would have got it when they took me off. They took me off by half a tab every two weeks. Each time I went down that half tab, I would get sicker than a dog (no pun intended!) for about a week. It was like having the flu.

I am thankful I was on them, because I have been seizure free for 7 years and the doc says I shouldn't ever have another one in my life.

I also work with students who have seizures and know how important the meds are.

The long and short of what I'm saying is, if the vet is saying they don't put dogs on meds unless it's serious, this is probably why. They are very, very strong and cause problems. It's the weighing of the options of benefit vs side effects.

I too think you should get a second opinion, as others have said. For your peace of mind and to assure that nothing life threatening or serious is wrong with your dog.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:33 PM

I didn't read the whole thread but I had two dogs who had seizures. My half lab and my little shish-tzu who just left us.

Do you have your house and yard sprayed? That could be one of the reasons. Stick to one type of food for a while and monitor what he eats. Keep a tap on when he has them and what he did just before or where he was.

The thing is that the medicine he would take for seizures will also damage him....so check out some herbs too.....
Old 09-21-2010, 09:18 PM

My dear departed Dalmation, Zoe, also had mild, but noticeable, seizures, and she had them several times a day. We took her to the vet and he said it was common in Dals. He also suggested not medicating her unless it interfered with her life. He called it 'ideopathic epilepsy', which just means "cause unknown". We didn't get any tests done, so, of course, the cause was unknown. Tests were big bucks and the Vet suggested that we take a wait and see approach. So we did.

Zoe never seemed to notice the seizures; it certainly didn't cramp her style in any way. I think she got 'caught' on the steps several times, as we would hear her fall down the last few steps. We only had 7 steps, so it wasn't a long fall and never hurt her. In any event, the steps were unavoidable and she was too big to carry up the steps without getting a hernia!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:21 PM

He is a handsome boy. Good luck with him.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Google Goddess

please get a 2nd opinion, let us know what you find out, my heart goes out to you
Old 09-21-2010, 09:30 PM

Our Zoe, who had epilepsy, used to 'paddle' when she was dreaming! She'd 'bark', too, but it came out as a tiny yelp. She had a ferociously loud bark when she was awake, so you have no idea how happy we were that 'dream paralysis', which is normal, kept her dream barks so quiet!

When she was laying down and had an epilepsy attack, her legs would go stiff, no paddling.