"Honey" is HOME!!

Old 09-22-2010, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
One of our friends saw her, and immediately asked the same thing..."You sure that's not a toy?"
Thing is...many of the really old "toy" machines were NOT toys...just like the featherweights!

One thing bothers me about this machine...it has one speed and that's full bore! There's no slow sewing on her... I don't remember Mama's machine being like that...it's not normal, is it?
Charlee, that doesn't seem normal. Ask Charlee about it hahaha
Old 09-22-2010, 06:24 AM

Lucky girl (both of you) LOL
Old 09-22-2010, 07:15 AM

Charlee,
When you drive do you "put the petal to the metal?" LOL Kidding. Mine will go like a Bat outta he** too. I have to pay close attention when sewing so I don't over sew what I'm doing.
Not like the newer machines that tie off and cut your thread but I like it fine. I still need to start playing with the PFAFF that I got on Friday. Lots of bells and whistles there. LOL
Have fun with her, I know you will.
Take care,
Faith

PS, Again it was great to meet you and DH yesterday. My DH said to tell your DH "GO DUCKS"!!!! ;)
Old 09-22-2010, 09:24 AM

The only way to start this machine is with the pedal to the metal!! :lol: I sure don't recall Mama's machine sewing that fast or not being able to stitch slowly....hmmm...faulty machine or faulty memory? ;)

I had a good time with you Faith...and William says to tell your DH that he's feeling a lil' bit wobbly about the Duck's chances this week...but he's rootin' for them all the same! :)
Old 09-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

She sure is pretty!!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:06 AM

Oh what a beauty! I just love the featherweights. She is in mint condition. Mine has a tendency to go very fast. I have learned to adjust to it although it feels funny when I go back to my regular machine. I tend on being a little sheepish with it too.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

She's a beaut, Charlee...just like her mama!
yuppers, I'd have the speed checked out. I can't sew like that.
Glad she's home though, woo hoo :thumbup:
Old 09-22-2010, 11:49 AM

great machine Charlee I love mine.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:40 PM

No Charlee,

Full speed ahead is not normal.

A featherweight should stitch, what I call, one deliberate slow stitch at a time, up to a wild run-away zoom speed. At full speed, mine feels like it is trying to take the fabric away from me.

Your controller button/foot pedal should make the motor turn and the needle move when you first begin to depress it.

The needle should begin to move when you first hear any motor sound, what-so-ever.

It can be two easy things, or a couple of not so nice things. Let's start with easy.

The belt is too tight and is binding the motor from turning freely, and it requires full electrical power for the motor to turn the machine. Featherweight belts are supposed to be much more loose than most people think.

You should be able to make a Featherweight belt slip when you grasp it between your finger and thumb and pull it along its path. It shouldn't be dead loose. But it should slip a bit without having to pull so hard you jerk the machine off the table :-)

Or, the controller/foot pedal is out of adjustment (needs to be cleaned).

Unplug the machine.

Take the correct size screwdriver and loosen the motor mount screw just until you can jiggle the motor.

Lift the motor until you see the belt slacken considerably.

Do not push the motor back down. Let the motor gentlly drop down until it comes to rest on its own.

Retighten the motor mount screw.

With clean hands, no oil on your finger tips, take the belt and try to pull it along its path, seeing if it will slip on both the motor pulley and the handwheel main shaft.

If you pull hard enough, it should slip eventually. But it shouldn't slip with light pressure.

If it slips too easily, then ever so slightly tighten the belt by loosening the motor screw again and making sure the motor has settled itself. Do not push the motor down.

Retighten the motor mount screw again and check to see if the belt will slip when you gently pull it.

When you have to pull only a bit more than a little to get it to slip, it should be ready.

Be sure you retighten the motor mount screw!! Ask me why :-)

Plug it back in and now try the button controller/foot pedal. If all else is good, you should get motor and needle movement when you first hear the motor sound and have just barely pressed the button on the controller.

Let me know if checking the belt tension doesn't help.

Also, if the machine has been in storage with that belt not turned for a long time, you might have a permanent tight V bent into the belt where it sat on the small motor pulley. This would give your motor pull-problems and irregular feed, making the machine sound as if it has a rhythm or hitch in its get-along.

Aardie.

Originally Posted by Charlee
One of our friends saw her, and immediately asked the same thing..."You sure that's not a toy?"
Thing is...many of the really old "toy" machines were NOT toys...just like the featherweights!

One thing bothers me about this machine...it has one speed and that's full bore! There's no slow sewing on her... I don't remember Mama's machine being like that...it's not normal, is it?
:oops: :mrgreen:
Old 09-22-2010, 04:01 PM

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Amazing what you learn here....
:XD: