Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 09-24-2010, 02:49 PM

I would love to do a block of the month with applique patterns. Any suggestions where to find some. I saw a pretty tulip pattern on here from a couple of years back in a Mccall's magazine. Never could find the actual pattern on their website though.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:53 PM

I like hand applique. I have not done it much, but it's on the list, which keeps growing by the way. I think I like hand applique because I find it so peaceful and relaxing. It's almost like meditating, kind of in the moment type of stuff. Of course, my mind wanders sometimes too, that's when I make mistakes or prick myself with the needle! I have always liked hand work, especially counted cross stitch, and now applique.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by mamaw
I have done some raw-edge machine applique, and am currently doing A Primitive Garden BOM quilt with wool. It is a huge project; but working with the wool is so nice. The needle goes through it like a knife through butter. Got to see the quilt at the VT. quilt show a couple of years ago, and 3 of us gals ordered it.....still not done by any of us lol.
Hope to learn needle turn at some point.
Can you post a picture of it! It sounds beautiful.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Marye
I am hand appliqueing my Baltimore Album quilt. I prefer the freezer paper, then the overlays.
I am doing my first applique crib quilt and I used the freezer paper method, I also painted on starch around the turns as suggested by several online sewing friends, which I might add kept my pieces flat and firm. This will be an airplane applique quilt similar to the Pottery Barn one.(red plane on blue chambray) I will try to post pics soon. I have done a hand running stitch w/ contrasting embroidery thread around all the edges that will show. My next step will be to hand sew all the pieces of the airplane on to a big white puffy cloud. I hear that silk thread works best to make these stitches less visible and yet be strong. I am thinking a machine stitch would detract from the nice decorative running stitch that I did about 1/4 inch in from the edges. I also need advice on if to do this quilt as a sandwich w/binding or try the turning it inside out way that I have done w/table mats but never anything this big.

:? :? :?
Old 09-26-2010, 02:18 PM

My weekend project. .... i ended up machine sewing the cats but the material puckered. Oh well. I don't think machine quilting is my thing. I'll try hand applique next. I bought some spray starch and brush so I will try that method next.

Here is my results from machine applique. There is a dark brown small border around the cats and a wider ivory tonal. The backing will be the same dark brown and I'll probably overlap it for the binding.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-102608.jpe
Views:	427
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	102613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-102609.jpe
Views:	459
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	102614  
Old 09-26-2010, 03:12 PM

I love doing applique especially hand work. I do the machine too. Right now I am making a basket of flower BOM by machine. I am thinking of taking each block that does not have applique in it and doing machine quilting in it and then piecing all the blocks together by hand. I have done one other quilt this way. It was the very first quilt I had learned to do by a pattern (all my others were things I designed). The instructor wanted us to do it that way for a reason, I can't remember what it is now but I am glad she did. I learned a lot. I have my applique blocks done but because I had changed things a bit I need more background fabric. When I get that I will decide what I will be doing for sure.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
I was wondering if anyone has this book? also it comes with a cd

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156...SIN=1564778851
I hadn't seen that book. It looks like fun. Will you be getting it?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
here is a cute idea for a heart applique to learn needleturn

http://www.cddesigns.com/FreezerPape...eedleturn.html
This is a neat website. Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:16 PM
pal

I have two really good applique books.

Applique Made Easy - Rodale -It's a book filled with techniques and shows how to do them step by step in pictures.

1001 Full-Size Patterns, Projects & Ideas - Better Homes & Gardens. I use this book mainly for patterns, not techniques.

I found the BH&G book in a large bookstore, and my son got it for me through the internet for a fraction of the cost.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Count me in for sure. I have become addicted to applique. With all these Dr appointments for DH; I will be sitting in a lot of waiting rooms for quite some time, and already have two really neat projects lined up to take along. One is a sunflower table topper that is a circle.(that's a first all by itself) and the other is of course, my personal challenge Native American Buffalo Caller. I think sharing ideas and tips will be great