Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bad sun bonnet sue >

bad sun bonnet sue

bad sun bonnet sue

Old 09-26-2010, 04:07 PM

One way to get around the problem could be to have a "Modern Sunbonnet Sue" instead. Modern does not have to be bad, rude or 'twee'...could be amusing as well.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

I had a feeling should could be bad. She seemed to perfect.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:51 PM

Those bad Sunbonnet Sue's are in really bad taste. I would not want any of my family to see a quilt I made like that. When I see a thread about Bad Sunbonnet Sue, I will not open it again and that way I will not be disappointed or offended.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:47 PM

I did a program about Sue for my local small guild and did some research on her history. Here is a part of the dialog with some of the research I used which tells you a little about how "Bad Sue" and killing off Sue got started.

"Sue was always the perfect stereotypical female- she was never dirty, aggressive or disagreeable. A quilt group in Texas turned this around when making a quilt for one of their members who had been hinting for a long time about wanting a Sunbonnet Sue quilt. For her 40th birthday, group members each made a block and wrapped them individually as birthday presents. As they were opened one by one, Sweet Sue had become Scandalous Sue.

While the members of this group did this all in fun, an analysis of this quilt in the book Feminist Messages - Coding in Women’s Folk Culture by Joan Radner suggests that women are showing rebellion against traditional women’s roles and norms and using this staple of the quilt world to express this need for change. Others have expressed dislike for Sue because she is too simple, boring and repetitive. Some feel she is too cute, trite and corny for their tastes and find her out of date, absorbed in domesticity in a way worrisome to many modern American women.
Finally a group in Kansas which included nationally known quilter Barbara Brackman were fed up with seeing these quilts. It was shortly after the Jonestown massacre in Guyana and one of the members said she would like to see Sue drink some of that purple koolaid. They decided to strike a blow against cute and drew a sketch of Sue in her stereotypical pose , hands rigidly by her side and and drew an arrow in her back. Showing it to other friends, the group made blocks for a 20 block quilt, appropriately set together with black and blue fabrics, depicting the demise of Sunbonnet Sue. “The Sun Sets on Sunbonnet Sue” got varying reactions from hilariously funny to shock and outrage. At the Sunflower State Expo in Topeka that year, the judges awarded the quilt second prize in its class (one of 2 entries) but the head of the textile exhibits confiscated the ribbon and refused to display the quilt which she characterized as “sick”. This display did lead to “Alive and Free, a book of Sue quilt patterns showing her engaging in many modern activities such as driving a car or hot air ballooning and other adventurous activities"
Old 09-26-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by IowaStitcher
I did a program about Sue for my local small guild and did some research on her history. Here is a part of the dialog with some of the research I used which tells you a little about how "Bad Sue" and killing off Sue got started.

"Sue was always the perfect stereotypical female- she was never dirty, aggressive or disagreeable. A quilt group in Texas turned this around when making a quilt for one of their members who had been hinting for a long time about wanting a Sunbonnet Sue quilt. For her 40th birthday, group members each made a block and wrapped them individually as birthday presents. As they were opened one by one, Sweet Sue had become Scandalous Sue.

While the members of this group did this all in fun, an analysis of this quilt in the book Feminist Messages - Coding in Women’s Folk Culture by Joan Radner suggests that women are showing rebellion against traditional women’s roles and norms and using this staple of the quilt world to express this need for change. Others have expressed dislike for Sue because she is too simple, boring and repetitive. Some feel she is too cute, trite and corny for their tastes and find her out of date, absorbed in domesticity in a way worrisome to many modern American women.
Finally a group in Kansas which included nationally known quilter Barbara Brackman were fed up with seeing these quilts. It was shortly after the Jonestown massacre in Guyana and one of the members said she would like to see Sue drink some of that purple koolaid. They decided to strike a blow against cute and drew a sketch of Sue in her stereotypical pose , hands rigidly by her side and and drew an arrow in her back. Showing it to other friends, the group made blocks for a 20 block quilt, appropriately set together with black and blue fabrics, depicting the demise of Sunbonnet Sue. “The Sun Sets on Sunbonnet Sue” got varying reactions from hilariously funny to shock and outrage. At the Sunflower State Expo in Topeka that year, the judges awarded the quilt second prize in its class (one of 2 entries) but the head of the textile exhibits confiscated the ribbon and refused to display the quilt which she characterized as “sick”. This display did lead to “Alive and Free, a book of Sue quilt patterns showing her engaging in many modern activities such as driving a car or hot air ballooning and other adventurous activities"
That's great reading, thanks!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:37 PM

for everyone who does embroidery, Urban Threads.com has Sunbonnet Sun and the seven deadly sins!! Very cute!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Originally Posted by Virginia
Originally Posted by marymm
I'm not sorry I am going to say this. Those Sunbonnet Sue and their explanations are in bad taste. Sunbonnet Sue originated as a sweet, innocent little girl wandering in a garden. Why not keep her sweet and innocent rather than so disgusting.
I totally agree. I will stop before I get in trouble with ya all.
I totally agree, isn't there enough violence in this world anymore without using a cute cartoon figure and using it in that
manner, I think it's totally uncalled for in my opinion. :-(
Old 09-26-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
Originally Posted by wvdek
Originally Posted by Virginia
Originally Posted by marymm
I'm not sorry I am going to say this. Those Sunbonnet Sue and their explanations are in bad taste. Sunbonnet Sue originated as a sweet, innocent little girl wandering in a garden. Why not keep her sweet and innocent rather than so disgusting.
I totally agree. I will stop before I get in trouble with ya all.
Why read the thread when you know what it's about?
That's what amazed me when I posted the many deaths quilt sometime back.
Don't click it if it bothers you.
Many, if not most, found it funny. No one's being killed - this is a quilt block we're talking about here.
Well I read the thread because I had no ideal what it was referring to, plus I also feel like I myself and anyone else has the right to comment are freely give our opinion on any subject
concerning Quilting on this board, sorry if you disagree with that.
Now myself I know that it is just a Quilt Block true, it's just what it implies such as the Hanging are any type of killing that I don't agree is a quilt I'd ever want my Grands seeing , I always taught my children that killing was wrong!!! , so why would I want to make a quilt that showed that!!! But please keep in mind this is MY Opinion and My Opinion Only , you and anyone who thing this kind of art is funny by all means do as you well.
Happy Quilting :thumbup:
Old 09-27-2010, 06:33 AM

I guess yall never saw Bugs Bunny, The Road Runner, any Disney movie from the 50's through the 80's or any other "childrens" entertainment. All depicting violence and such. It is just a part of our lives and it always has been and I suspect always will be. If it appeals to you then join. If it does not then don't join and don't judge. It really is just that simple.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:46 PM

sunbonnetsue.com
It has one we did years ago. Mine is Sue holding the fireowrks up to sams face.