Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-04-2010, 05:19 PM

well, i am definitely going to be lurking and reading everyone's post. i am learning. done some, and and they weren't perfect. but that is my style, just wade in and get going.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:33 PM

karen, that basket quilt is beautiful. i think i will do this work for a while. appliquing. i am so glad i found this post....
Old 11-04-2010, 06:40 PM

SUZ thanks for the comments and complements..... I see what you mean about the air with the button hole stich. That was my first attempt at doing hand applique. What kind of thread do you use to do this? I used embrodery thread 3 strands. Should I use something else??? Thanks
Old 11-05-2010, 06:52 AM

I took a class in hand applique some years ago, but then switched to machine , but after reading your letter , Suz, I wish I could have taken a class from you. I think I will try it again.What kind of thread do you usually use?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:55 AM

i use 2 strands of dmc embroidery thread but sometimes, if it's a very small leaf, circle, etc. i use only 1 strand.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
i use 2 strands of dmc embroidery thread but sometimes, if it's a very small leaf, circle, etc. i use only 1 strand.
I've been stitching with one thread of floss because I was afraid I would get my thread tangled up more and it wouldn't lay as nice. Might have to change that thinking in the future. I suppose it is just a matter of practice. :)
Old 11-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Suz

I love teaching. Presently, working with several ladies at the church and have taught 16 years in the 4H program. I am no longer with 4H, however one of the gals (14 years) is my pride and joy. Her handquilting is better now than mine ever was. She is just a sponge. I have cut her loose as I have given all that I know to give her. She can read directions, and draft. We do get together from time-to-time when she is having a problem. Incidentally, she hand quilted a king and queen this summer for two grandmothers. Remember the summer heat? Guess what she got with the money they gave her??? She purchased her first Bernina. How's that for 14?

I use two-ply embroidery thread and usually use a strong contrast (black). If I'm going to do this handwork, I want it to be seen. I even use two when I work with wool applique.

Yes, I am doing the project. Mine is in greens and pinks on several background fabrics. My problem!!!!! I do not know how to post photos. Will someone tell me what to look for in software? I looked and do not recognize anything on the desktop. I haven't checked the laptop, perhaps there is a program on it. I really need to learn how to do this.

Okay, off to my playroom. I am working on another Quilt of Valor that I need to finished this w/e. If you are interested, I'll tell you later how many of these quilts I have made over the past 3+ years.

Suzanne
Old 11-06-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Suz
I love teaching. Presently, working with several ladies at the church and have taught 16 years in the 4H program. I am no longer with 4H, however one of the gals (14 years) is my pride and joy. Her handquilting is better now than mine ever was. She is just a sponge. I have cut her loose as I have given all that I know to give her. She can read directions, and draft. We do get together from time-to-time when she is having a problem. Incidentally, she hand quilted a king and queen this summer for two grandmothers. Remember the summer heat? Guess what she got with the money they gave her??? She purchased her first Bernina. How's that for 14?

I use two-ply embroidery thread and usually use a strong contrast (black). If I'm going to do this handwork, I want it to be seen. I even use two when I work with wool applique.

Yes, I am doing the project. Mine is in greens and pinks on several background fabrics. My problem!!!!! I do not know how to post photos. Will someone tell me what to look for in software? I looked and do not recognize anything on the desktop. I haven't checked the laptop, perhaps there is a program on it. I really need to learn how to do this.

Okay, off to my playroom. I am working on another Quilt of Valor that I need to finished this w/e. If you are interested, I'll tell you later how many of these quilts I have made over the past 3+ years.

Suzanne
Hi there. Can you get the pictures to your desktop? Or is the problem there as well as getting to post. To post a picture from your desktop, you hit reply to a post (not the quick reply) and underneath where you post it says file attachments. Click on browse and find your picture on the desktop. it will probably say something like "open" when you choose the picture. Click open. You're almost done. That should take you back to the page where you post your message. Hit send. Hope that helps. PM me if you have further questions.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:03 PM

I love appliquie but I don't have the patience to do it. I prefer to machine applique too. I have some wonderful embroidery programs for this. I'll try to attach some pictures of a top I have ready for the frame. It's call The Garden Club.

Quilt top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119916[/ATTACH]

Block 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119917[/ATTACH]

Block 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119918[/ATTACH]

Block 3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119920[/ATTACH]

Block 4
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119921[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-119911.jpe
Views:	119
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	119916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-119912.jpe
Views:	116
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	119917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-119913.jpe
Views:	117
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	119918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-119915.jpe
Views:	109
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	119920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-119916.jpe
Views:	117
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	119921  

Old 11-06-2010, 02:29 PM

That is beautiful. You do such great work. I only do machine applique too & I love it.