Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-07-2010, 09:44 AM

Love to applique. Looking forward to chatting about the various methods. Currently working on a SunBonnet Sue and Overhall Sam quilt for my soon to be five year old grandaughter. Some of many methods in this quilt so far ...raw edge, needle turn, faced with interfacing. The big question will be how to quilt it so that it will be cuddly and drapeable, not too stiff.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:32 AM

Almost finished with this but need to set it aside for a little bit because of deadlines on a couple of other projects. This is what it looks like so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-120824.jpe
Views:	330
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	120829  
Old 11-07-2010, 12:45 PM

Looks great so far!! I like the hearts.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:05 PM

okay, so, i have been using my sewing machine, janome 6600. should i buy an actual enbrodrey machine? or just keep practicing?

Name:	Attachment-121031.jpe
Views:	323
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	121036  
Old 11-07-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by sewNso
okay, so, i have been using my sewing machine, janome 6600. should i buy an actual enbrodrey machine? or just keep practicing?
That is ADORABLE! I'm not a good one to answer the question on embroidery machine or not since I'm in the same quandry. I think what you turned out there is cute.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:28 PM

This a reply to my original comment re applique. I love to needle turn applique. I find it so relaxing and our himalayan (Bear) and my two West Highland Terriers cannot sit on on my project thereby getting nothing accomplished. I am currently going to start hand piecing and hand appliqueing. It is called Sunshine Rose Garden and was featured as a cover in the magazine Quilters Newsletter (July/August 2007.

I am so excited about this. I am sure we can learn so much from one another
Old 11-07-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Maggie Rose
This a reply to my original comment re applique. I love to needle turn applique. I find it so relaxing and our himalayan (Bear) and my two West Highland Terriers cannot sit on on my project thereby getting nothing accomplished. I am currently going to start hand piecing and hand appliqueing. It is called Sunshine Rose Garden and was featured as a cover in the magazine Quilters Newsletter (July/August 2007.

I am so excited about this. I am sure we can learn so much from one another
I agree. I have done needleturn but am now in the mood to concentrate on blanket stitch. :) Overall I like needturn because I like the smooth edges,etc. I like blanket stitch because it can show the work (when I get better) and quicker, etc. It is good to know different methods so I can choose for each project.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:45 PM

I love hand applique too. I am taking a class at my LQS - we are doing a Baltimore basket as a center for a quilt and will start the other blocks in January. I enjoy it so, but I work very slowly so I am always behind in the class...especially because I like it to be as near perfect as possible and keep taking appliques off and starting them over again.

The teacher/shop owner encouraged us to use a board (I think its a June Taylor thing) and I love it. I like to sit up in bed with the board on my lap and I just got a little LED clip on lamp which clips to the edge of the board. The 2 dogs and cat can sleep all around me when I am sewing, but sometimes when I put the board down, Winnie, the cat gets onto it to sleep (he must like the padding) and he sheds!

Geckogirl - what kind of questions do you have about felt applique? I have done a bit of wool felt applique and would be glad to help you. I have a lovely book of wool applique throws/baby blankets etc, by someone from Australia. I can't remember the name but when I get home I can look for it and let you know.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:03 PM

gorgeous quilt.can u tell us where to find the pattern for the garden club quilt..............please and thank you..................if u wish u may send me an e-mail gosh that is elegant................
Old 11-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

I love to applique.....My machine does the nicest job doing a blind stitch......The picture below was all done with this stitch.

Name:	Attachment-111679.jpe
Views:	318
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	111684