Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-07-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
Bonni you are a sweetheart thanks for the words of encouragement.
It's a frustrating craft to learn but worth it. Always feel free to PM me if you have questions and/or just need encouragement. :)
Old 11-07-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by lorli
Geckogirl - what kind of questions do you have about felt applique?
Well, my DH and I are expecting our first baby in March (a little girl) and we both really like snakes. It is because of our work fields but anyways you cannot find ANYTHING baby related with SNAKES or a lot of reptiles for that matter so we (well my mother, sisters and I) are making most of the decorations for the nursery.

I wanted to applique a snake or lizard or turtle onto a onesie for Baby Jo but I did not know if I should use cotton or if felt would work. I was worried about it being too stiff or even bleeding onto the white onesie. Luckily onesies are only like two dollars at walmart so I bought two to practice on and if they don't turn out well then I don't have to use them but I wanted to do some research BEFORE I practiced LOL

I finally have the machine quilting down pretty well and am going to be putting the binding on my first quilt either later tonight or tomorrow evening. And I know March is pretty far off but I am trying to do as much NOW so that once she gets here I can do other things like making her cute clothes :-)

So pretty much any advice on fabrics would be great :-)
Old 11-07-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by karenchi
I love to applique.....My machine does the nicest job doing a blind stitch......The picture below was all done with this stitch.
Your double ring was appliqued???? It is STUNNING!!! I would love the pattern if you have it :-)

I think I could easily make a wall-hanging like this for my DH and I with our wedding colors :-)
Old 11-07-2010, 11:19 PM

Gecko- congrats on your up-coming blessed event. I don't know about the felt. but felted wool works really well for blanket stitch applique, you don't have to turn edges under at all, quick and easy.

If you are worried aboout bleeding, just pre-wash in hot water, that usually takes care of most dyes, except for the terrible red, which I happen to love.

Good luck and remember to have fun.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
Gecko- congrats on your up-coming blessed event. I don't know about the felt. but felted wool works really well for blanket stitch applique, you don't have to turn edges under at all, quick and easy.

If you are worried aboout bleeding, just pre-wash in hot water, that usually takes care of most dyes, except for the terrible red, which I happen to love.

Good luck and remember to have fun.
Shout also puts out a product that you put in the wash to catch the dyes if they happen to bleed. Sorry but I can't remember their exact name right now. Perhaps somebody else will.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:29 AM

JeriB - your quilt makes my mouth water. it's beautiful!!!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:39 AM

i have used wool in applique and it's really wonderful. you don't have to turn it and it doesn't fray and if you use really fine thread like silk your stitches just disappear.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 AM

The Shout product mentioned is called Color Catcher. It comes 24 sheets to a box and you can reuse them many times. We use them a lot because I have sons who do "bachelor" laundry. :)
Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 AM

The Shout product mentioned is called Color Catcher. It comes 24 sheets to a box and you can reuse them many times. We use them a lot because I have sons who do "bachelor" laundry. :)
Old 11-08-2010, 09:40 AM

This is the center of the quilt I am working on. There will be Sue and Sam blocks all around plus a border. Some of the Sue blocks are showing in the picture but will not be next to each other in the final quilt layout. Template used was Eleanor Burns' for some of the Sue and Sam blocks. The colors in the picture do not show true! Colors go with Moda Spring Fling line of fabrics.

Center of Sun Bonnet Sue quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]121588[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-121583.jpe
Views:	128
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	121588