Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Scared and sad- my Janome 7700 died! >
  • Scared and sad- my Janome 7700 died!

• Scared and sad- my Janome 7700 died!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:34 AM

peggi mentioned the janome 6700. i haven't heard of that one. i looked at the 7700 when i took my 6600 in for maintence, and it scared me, just looking at it. but, i did learn a couple more features about my 6600 while i was in the shop. does anyone remember seeing a link of janome owners learning something different about their machine each week? would appreciate it if anyone recalls. ordered the circle hoop for doing applique circle stitches. anyone seen that?
    Old 11-09-2010, 11:42 AM

Are you the first owner of this machine? If you are the first owner you should be covered under a manufacturers warranty but replacement is up to your dealer as a rule. If you bought this machine from a dealer and not the first owner there should be some kind of warranty, especially since you have only had "her" for four months. I would be very careful about accepting a "fix" without the dealership giving you in writing a stated warranty for this machine. I wish you all the luck in the world with your lovely machine. I finally got my Designer I back after having her in the dealer's shop for nearly a year waiting for parts. I have her home now but this morning the bobbin winding mechanism broke and has locked up my machine again. Goodness, seems like the little darlings pick bad times to "get sick" on us.
    Old 11-09-2010, 11:52 AM

I am so glad you got this fixed without trouble.
    Old 11-09-2010, 01:49 PM

Glad everything is going well. I now have a non computerized backup after all my Pfaff problems. When you sew a lot it is hard to be without a machine.
    Old 11-09-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by chiaraquilts
    Originally Posted by homeagain2010
    Hi, I used to work at a Brother dealership in MN and once in a while a machine would have a bad computer board. If it is still under warranty you should be able to have the board replaced,or the whole machine. Just remember each machine will run a little bit different than the other.
    Take a deep breath and enjoy what you can of your day.
    Good luck, Gina in MI
    Update:

Back from the dealer (they were GREAT) and exactly as Gina says above, the motherboard had one component that failed. They took it all apart to show me and it is amazing how tiny the piece is- anyway, they will replace the motherboard within a few days and assure me it will be fine. Also got a nice loaner in the meantime!

I did express concern about the same problem happening again, and was told if there was any problem, the machine would be replaced. So I feel confident in trying the replacement motherboard.

AND, when I mentioned that my old Bernina 1010 wasn't working (reason I bought this machine), they said to bring it in when I come to pick up my machine and he will try to fix it free! It would be great to have a backup machine!

Thank you all for support and suggestions- nice to have friends who understand how important a sewing machine can be!
    :thumbup: Good for you -- I just bought my 5th Janome at the Houston International Quilt show this past weekend -- I have me a collection going on -- lol.
    Old 11-09-2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by chiaraquilts
    Hi all-
    I bought my new Janome 7700 in July and have loved loved loved it- in fact just this morning was reassuring another board member about the effectiveness of the new 1/4" foot...

Did a bit of FMQ today, no problems, went to the ironing board for a few minutes, and noticed an icky "hot" smell- wasn't the iron- looked at my machine and the electronic screen was blank. Deep breath, turned it off, then on, and got an E4 error message, which according to the manual indicates a problem with the circuit and to bring it in for service.

I am going to bring it in in the morning- too late to go today- when I talked with them they said they had no idea what could be wrong, but sounds like the electronics are shot. From the smell, I think that is right. The machine is plugged into it's own surge protector, no lighting or power interruptions here....

So I just don't know what to expect tomorrow. The dealer is a well established one with a very good reputation, but I don't know if they will replace this machine or will I be in for a long stretch of ordering parts etc.? And how comfortable would you be with this machine being repaired instead of replaced?

Sorry this is so long, but I guess I am a little freaked out ...thanks for listening!
    I had that happen with a monitor at work. It showed scary colors like looking into the bowels of Hell. Talk about freaking out! I ran for help to the only other person then in the office -- an attorney. In spite of attorney jokes (How many attorneys does it take to change a light bulb, etc.) he marched in and unplugged it.
    Old 11-09-2010, 03:16 PM

keep us posted on how you make out. hoping for the best for you!
    Old 11-09-2010, 03:23 PM

If you bought it new in July, it surely has a warranty and will be fixed or replaced. Good luck. Sorry you are having to go thru this but it will probably work out just fine in the end.
    Old 11-09-2010, 03:45 PM

WOW....I would not go for repairs and this machine is new and for this to happen is a bad sign. Hang in there and push for a new one, free of charge, of course!!!

Good Luck....

Ann in San Ramon
    Old 11-09-2010, 03:51 PM

I feel so sad for you. My Pfaff had it's motherboard go out last winter. Took 5 months of waiting for the part. Of course the warrenty had run out, so it was $335. that is a lot of fabric I couldn't buy.