How did we ever survive?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:18 AM

Oh do I remember! Now I feel old!! I still call the refrigerator an Ice Box. My hubby and kids tease me. We played baseball and football in the street. I grew up in rural Kansas until I was 10. Climbing trees, bringing in the wood (wood stove), helping with canning, sugar cookies warm from the oven, egg on a paper, walking up to the General Store by myself as young as 5 pulling my little red wagon. But there was bad things also, like the outhouse, taking a bath in the wash tub.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Parrothead
Oh do I remember! Now I feel old!! I still call the refrigerator an Ice Box. My hubby and kids tease me. We played baseball and football in the street. I grew up in rural Kansas until I was 10. Climbing trees, bringing in the wood (wood stove), helping with canning, sugar cookies warm from the oven, egg on a paper, walking up to the General Store by myself as young as 5 pulling my little red wagon. But there was bad things also, like the outhouse, taking a bath in the wash tub.
Oh I forgot about that, the out house! Every year I would go to my GGrandmas and spend the summers up there on the farm. Every year my job was to move/rebuild the out house. There is not enough lime on the planet to make one smell decent in 90*+ temps.

Billy
Old 11-15-2010, 09:48 AM

Wow, this brought back a lot of memories, though I think of them more and more with the way the world is now. I remember the skates that you had to have the key for so that you could move them to fit whatever pair of shoes you was wearing, and stomping on pepsi and beer cans so you could clomp around like a horse. I found out that the lady up the street was pregnant before anyone else because I was listening on the phone when she told her boyfriend hehe
I remember all my aunts going to my G'Ma's every Friday and Sat night to play Waa Hoo, a game played with marbles on a board that my uncle made them from some kind of fiber board.
Now its called a trouble game and all you have to do is push a plastic top and it rolls the dice for you. All of us kids would play outside until they finally called us in and made pallets for us to sleep on while they played the night away. Grandma was the head of the family, Christmas and Thanksgiving was always at her house. It seems like with the passing of my G'ma and Mom, that the traditions passed with them, I miss those days.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 AM

Yes, the good old days. And I thought I was the only person in the world who actually tasted raw hamburg. Of course that was before the factory farming, imports with who knows what it them but I'd still like to go back to the good old days.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:14 AM

I love this! It is so true. I tell my kids this and they look at me with amazement.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:17 AM

I also remember rolling my hair on socks. Much softer than those cans but oh so lumpy. We would make a tent in the yard and sleep in the front yard........ALL night and never afraid. Or on the front porch and be awakened by the milk man when he arrived . And in Knoxville we had mail delivery twice a day during the weeks before Christmas for all the cards that only cost three cents to mail. I could go on forever. The new commercial with the baby about " I got a brand new pair of roller skates" stays in my head 'way too much of the time'. LOL
Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 AM

I'm the generation before - no tv - Roosevelt on the radio on special occasions - no one misbehaved at school - no tires on the car during the war, they wore out and there weren't any unless you had a security reason to have them - no bubble gum until after the war - no washing soap on the store shelves, we made lye soap in the yard and we lived in a city - everyone learned to read and memorized their multiplication tables - school classes were 35 to 40 and their was no federal aid to education - kids played outside all day unless doing chores = we lived in fear of doing something that got us sent to the principal's office and heard tales about his paddle - never knew anyone who really went, the fear was enough Forgot about the polio - lost many friends - Salk came to our town and my little brothers were in the trial - I was in high school and too old - one out of every l24 people in our town got polio between 1949 and 1955. There were no antibiotics for the public until after WWII. People died of splinters in their thumb or squeezing a bump on their face.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:57 AM

Being born in 1949 I remember it all!Even the home perms and hair cuts. Watching my mom make our clothes on a treadle machine!The BEST of times!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:57 AM

Yeah, Right!!We are so messed up from all these horrible things that we had to live through maybe thats why we became quilters .. to work out all the trama. LOL I'm just glad my children are all grown. I really don't know how parents do it now a days. Prayers and Love to all with children now and maybe "Now" will be good memories later in their lives.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 AM

I loved those times so much, I wish I could have raised my own kids back then. Life was so simpler!