Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Baby spitting up/projectile vomit.  what to do???  help please. >

Baby spitting up/projectile vomit. what to do??? help please.

Baby spitting up/projectile vomit. what to do??? help please.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Originally Posted by Rachel
Originally Posted by grammiepamie
Could I please ask why he was in NICU please?
He was fine in the NICU, but when we brought him home (4 weeks later), he starting spitting up and it just progressively got worse (he started out on breast milk), which I figured would have been the best for him, but the doc said he had a milk intolerance. We switched him to soy and that seemed to be about the best, so now I'm thinking maybe the soy and the zantac? but I'm scared to make a move without the doc's approval.
Ohhhhh wait a minute - this DOCTOR told you the baby had a 'milk intolerance' to your breast milk?
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Time to find a new doctor. If your 'motherly instincts' tell you something is not right - keep searching - even if it means a second or third opinion.
That is a new one to me, too - that does seem "strange" that a baby would be intolerant of his own mother's milk.
Both of my sons and all of their cousins on their father's side were intolerant of mother's milk. Talk about projectile vomit!! They all went on soy formula and were a whole lot better. I put my youngest son on soy formula before we even left the hospital and he doesn't have allergies now.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:42 AM

I was just reading more of the posts. When my daughter was nursing my granddaughter and she was fussy and crampy, the doctor suggested my daughter cut out milk products in her own diet and take a calcium supplement. She followed her advice which worked. Julianna was much happier and content. I wish I would have tried that with my son when I was breastfeeding.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel
Originally Posted by grammiepamie
What kind of belly button does he have? Inny or outey?There is a reason why I asked that. You probably think I am crazy but I'm not. Just a concerned grammie.
He has an inny. I've gotta hear the reasoning behind this please. tee hee
It doesn't happen often and I have only seen one baby with it, but it's called pyloric stenosis. The valve at the bottom of the stomach doesn't work well and the stomach can't empty into the small intestine. Hense projectile vomiting. But allergies can cause that also. I have bad allergies and I have done my share. But I agree with the other ladies also. Get a second or third opinion. Mothers know best when it comes to their babies.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:01 AM

My niece slept with the head of the crib mattress raised to help with the acid reflux. She spent alot of time in the car seat sitting up instead of laying down.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:03 AM

Growing out of it can be right. My son, who was only 4 lbs when he was born had that. Their little flaps (not medical term sorry) from stomach to esophagus aren't fully developed or strong yet. My grandson had the same problem as he was only 3 lbs when he was born. Just try to burp him more during the course of the bottle to get as much air out of tummy as possible. It is definitely unnerving if you aren't used to it but they do grow out of it. If doc says nothing else is medically wrong just be sure to have lots of burp cloths and wear your old clothes (lol). Good luck.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 AM

How long has it been since you stopped BFing? If he is "milk intolerant" it is likely dairy milk IN your milk, not YOUR milk in particular. It makes me mad when doctors take babies off of something so natural and healthy when there is in theory an "easy" fix (not easy for mama, but simple). I am in the process of switching peds and her philosophy regarding my children and dairy is one of the #1 reasons why - no matter how many times I have said my children are sensitive to dairy she insists I force feed them whole milk throughout the day. She scoffed when I said I went dairy free while nursing DD and insisted dairy sensitivities are rare - soooo NOT true! She wanted me to put her on a high powered reflux med instead. Turns out, she was fine after cutting dairy out of my diet completely. I wish I would have known the same for DS... I honestly believe he would be a different child today had I done things differently.

Anyway, many times if a child has a dairy sensitivity, soy can also be an issue so soy formula won't help at all. If it hasn't been long since you stopped nursing, there is a chance you can get your milk going again with some higher doses of fenugreek and some other things (contact an all natural lactation consultant and they can help). I know one lady who was semi-successful even after months of not nursing!

IF, big if, you are able to start nursing again, cut dairy our of your diet completely... read every label - no milk, butter milk, whey, etc. Nothing. It's tough, very very tough. Dairy is one of my main food groups, and I successfully did it for 6 months or so which gave her a chance to grow out of it. I was able to slowly incorporate it back into my diet (she nursed for 14 months or so) and she's fine with it now. One positive outcome for me was dropping post baby pounds like crazy! ;) It takes about 2 full weeks to get it out of your system, but the results might be miraculous like it was for my DD. She was easily able to go off all reflux meds and was a happy, peaceful baby (very much unlike my son). We've also had a lot fewer health issues with her which might be coincidence, might not be.

Sorry for the novel, this is just one of those issues I am pretty "passionate" about... I hate seeing babies suffer b/c of doctors ill advice when all other avenues have not been taken. It's just easier to write a prescription or switch to another formula (not matter how much the cost is to you!) rather than to truly listen to the parents and see what other options there might be.

Getting off my soapbox now...
Old 11-29-2010, 09:06 AM

A friend of mine had a baby who had trouble with colic & digesting. She gave him gripe water. CVS also carries a colic remedy that's wonderful and all natural.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 AM

My daughter was alergic to milk which caused the projectile vomiting. Dr. put her on soy milk and that was it. Now that she's older she has no problem with milk.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 AM

My daughter did that --- I finally discovered that she couldn't tolerate the IRON in the formulas.... And if they say your breast milk is one he can't tolerate...then make sure YOU aren't taking iron supplements. Being a mother is basically a guessing game...guessing what they need now, what can fix them. Good luck, sweetie!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:38 AM

And I HATE to be the bearer of this news but when my cousins baby did this, there was something kinked on the inside and they had to do some minor surgery.

Please try to find a new dr and mention this as well.

Hope it all works out for you soon.