Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is your family tradition at Christmas >

What is your family tradition at Christmas

What is your family tradition at Christmas

Old 11-30-2010, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
Growing up we always had a family get together on Christmas Eve. It rotated through the years and ended up at my uncles house. As long as I could remember my grandfather dressed up as Santa each year we sat on his lap had our picture taken and received a gift. For the longest time I believed it was the real Santa. My Santa went home to Jesus 3 years ago I miss him dearly we no longer have the get togethers like we used to the last Christmas with Grandpa was such a wonderful memory. At my aunts house she had a dog named Zeke and Zeke loved Grandpa. He sat in Grandpas lap that year and it was the cutest thing to see him feed the dog one bite for him the other for the dog. My precious memory!!
Sorry about your Grandad. But as you say what a precious memory.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:09 AM

With it being just myself and my hubby now. Kids are too far away with my grandbabies, on Christmas Eve we grab a big mug of coffee and some donut holes and go for a long drive around to see all the lights. It is our new tradition now and we both love it. So very peaceful and beautiful.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:10 AM

My daughter & her boyfriend spend Christmas Eve and Christmas day with us. My son & family moved far away a few years ago, so we aren't able to spend Christmas together anymore. He carries on our traditional Christmas breakfast though: Monkey bread and Brunch-in-a-flash breakfast casserole (recipe from my mom).

We always open stocking stuffers first, then presents. To make it easy on myself, I make a buffet of honeyglazed ham & all the fixins. We munch on Christmas cookies thoughout the day too. Calls, visits & trips to family thoughout the day.

Merry Christmas to all.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:01 AM

Usually it's just the 4 of us since family is so far away. Christmas Eve we have a light dinner...lunch meats, cheeses, vegetables, dip and a few finger deserts. Then the kids open their presents to each other and the obligatory PJ present from us. Christmas day we wake up at o'dark 30 and have paper flying, cats playing in all the paper and the day has begun.. Turkey in the roaster, etc. BUT this year my Mom and Step Dad are coming YAY!! The kids don't know either. :lol: :lol: So it's going to be a wonderful surprise for them. Also since DD b/d is 3 days after Christmas they'll be here for her b/d. Such a wonderful present for all of us!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 AM

When the kids were little, we would have dinner then go to candle light service at church. When we got back we would reminisce about past Christmases, read some Christmas stories, open "open me first" (pajamas) presents then go to bed early.

Now that the girls are on their own we try to stick to the same traditions, but the DDs and DGSs get all their presents from us. After the boys go to sleep, Santa leaves our house and takes his presents and puts them under the boys' tree. DD1 and her family spend Christmas Day with SonIL's family, but usually come by for a visit around dinner.

There is one tradition I have that started 24 years ago when youngest DD was born and my parent's didn't get to see much of them. I put together a photo album (7) of our year for family members that live away from us. It starts with Dec of the previous year and goes through Thanksgiving of the current year. That way everyone can see what the grands, great grands, and great-great grands did all year. It has become my grandmother's favorite Christmas present. She will sit with her great-great-grands and talk about what they were doing in all the pictures. I also send smaller collections of pictures to other family members who may have missed some of the activities.