Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Baby spitting up/projectile vomit.  what to do???  help please. >

Baby spitting up/projectile vomit. what to do??? help please.

Baby spitting up/projectile vomit. what to do??? help please.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

My DD was allergic to formula, and did that. I had to switch her to soy formula.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:53 PM

My son was a preemie 31 years ago and had the same problem. We wound up having to put him a prescription formula where the proteins were predigested. He couldn't break down the protein in the formula milk or soy. It was very expensive but solved the problem. He was on it for a couple of months then went to soy formula. The pediatrician also had him sleep in a car seat in a reclined position vs. being laid flat. That also helped a lot. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:12 PM

It is very rare for a child to be allergic to breast milk but it can happen. If he actually is allergic he might not be producing the enzyme necessary to breakdown the lactose. Breast milk, cows milk, goat, sheep, soy, rice, etc are NOT the same. Animal milks are really specie specific. That really means, what is perfect for a cow might not be so perfect for a human, etc. Some of the things we call milk are not really milk so be careful. If your child has true food allergies DO NOT add any bananas/cereal/etc. to formulas. You should have seen what my child looked like the first time he was given some and he was about 1 year. The hives were not pretty.

I do advise you to find another doctor. Make a pest of yourself until you get the answers you need. (My doctor knew who it was by the screaming child in the background.) Until you find one, try feeding small amounts more frequently (an ounce or two at a time), let him sleep in an infant seat, burp well. Have you tried to change your bottle? Some of the ones on the market allow for a LOT of air to be gulped with the milk.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:54 PM

Please go and see another doctor. My nephew's baby had a to have major surgery when he was throwing up all the time. There Doctor told them that the throwing up all the time was normal. My nephew took him to a major hospital and they operated with in hours. There was a knot in stomach and no fluids/nourishment was staying in him.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 PM

Just a few questions - how much did he weigh at birth - at discharge from hospital - and now? How long has he been home from the NICU? When did the doctor do the upper GI? If it is pyloric stenosis it will only get worse as the little growth at the pyloric valve gets thicker it lets less fluids through so more come back up. My younger brother had this when he was a baby and his daughter had it when she was a baby. I would definitely advise that you find a doctor who is more receptive to your concerns for your baby.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:04 AM

My DD was the same way..33 years ago..it stops eventaully. i actually would hold her over the sink! and she was only a few weeks old! they put her on phenobarbitol. i took her off it after a week..
they now say is is acid reflux, like your Doc said.

try smaller amount of milk..more times a day. change nipples,or bottle brands with different types of nipples,so less air gets in..
with playtex, the nipple hole size in right on the bottle,"slow" would be on it.

if she still has wet diapers..she is not dehydrated. that is one way to tell,and to watch for. also, by pressing on her skin,if it doesn't bounce back,and remains depressed,she may be dehydrated too..
so long as she is not lossing weight,she will be ok.
so you have anyone to help you get some rest?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:12 AM

Please listen to me. 3 years ago our granddaughter had the same problem. She was exactly the same as your son they are allergic to the formula. Our son tried every formula on the market. The poor baby was bleeding in her stools.
After nothing else worked for them they listened to me. My husband grew up with a boy who was alergic to milk. His mom raised him on goats milk.
Walmart sells it in 16 0z. cans about $1.50 a can.
Mix it half and half with water and feed it to her instead of formula.
Our son and his wife got her the milk and within a day she was doing better. After about a week she was fine and acting like a newborn should.
A year and a half later when their second girl was born she was the same way. needless to say they did not wait to give her the goats milk.
Please save yourself a lot of grief and the baby further pain and get some goats milk today.
Feel free to email us if you have any questions.
Kathy
Old 11-30-2010, 04:24 AM
Banned

I totally agree with trying the goats milk
Old 11-30-2010, 05:24 AM

Try ProSoBee baby formula. It is a very old brand and worked great with my kids. They were milk intolerant. There is a product that is over the counter that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of. I drop or two stops the discomfort. Maybe someone else knows the name. You can get it without a prescription.

uote=Rachel]Okay, Nathan came home from the NICU on the 15th of October, he's been home for about 6 weeks and he's been spitting up and projectile vomiting from almost every bottle. The pediatrician says to switch formula (we're on formula number 5 now), they finally gave him Zantac for acid reflux, but still no changes. He's fussy, but not crying all the time, he grunts, so I know his tummy has to hurt. I dont' know what to do for him. I called the pediatrician back on friday and he said to give this new formula (similac alimentum) another week, we have another appointment scheduled for Friday. They keep telling me he may just have to grow out of it. Can that be right? He's not really gaining weight like he should be even. I'm scared and exhausted. I just want my baby to be well and happy.

any ideas? suggestions? anything???

thanks!!![/quote]
Old 11-30-2010, 05:25 AM

Sometimes mothers dont have the best diets, causing babies tummies to get upset. My sister in law loved junk and my niece had tummy aches and gas from mommys milk. My aunt ate well and her milk was not good enough for the baby. The baby was loosing wieght. I think every situation is different, all of us have tried different things until something worked. I would ask your mom what worked best with you and ask mom in law, sometimes its a hereditary thing. Hang in there!