Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Some quilting gift ideas? >

Some quilting gift ideas?

Some quilting gift ideas?

Old 11-29-2010, 09:58 PM

Mary I think if you can make it you should really try to go to your DD's house for Christmas. If you don't, she will spend her entire day thinking about how you're feeling home alone. Make the day nicer for everyone and go. It won't take long for you to feel comfortable. I Hope you go...

I wondered what a "Chinese Christmas was too. When I was a kid we used to do a "chinese fire drill" where we would all get out of the car and switch places" wonder if a "Chinese Christmas" is one where you draw names or buy a generic gift and keep trading them until the game is over... Got me!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:58 PM

Perhaps this is a little off the subject, but I just turned 70 on Nov 11 and my youngest child (36) bought me a gift card from JoAnns for $70. I was amazed! No one has ever spent that much on me and I was thrilled to use it on Black Friday (although I didn't arrive at the store until 4:00pm). I don't care what I get for Christmas as long as they call me (all live out of town), and enjoy what I made for them.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:02 PM

I think I would love it if my two sons (25 and 16) were to buy me some fat quarters. Just of fabrics they really liked. I would really enjoy seeing what their taste is and which ones they thought "looked like something I would like". I think that would be really neat.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 AM

My DH just told me tonight that he was buying me a tricycle for Christmas!!!!!! I was not even expecting it. I did not know, that for the whole time he worked for one company, they were putting money in a 'fringe' account. He just cashed it out. He just blew me away when he walked in waving hundred dollars bills at me, and says "Let's go pick your bike!" I made him stop and put most of it in savings. I know better than to go shopping with money in our pockets. MY bike is Cherry Red. Whoppee! I feel like a kid again. I had not realized how much I miss riding a bike. I hope you all get your fondest dreams granted for Christmas too! :thumbup:
Old 11-30-2010, 04:32 AM

I suggest to female members of my family to buy me some charm packs or FQ's in the colours they like so I can make them quilts or home dec items. They say it isn't a gift to me, but it is because it is supplying the materials for my hobby.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 AM

OMG. I turned 70 on Nov. 28. My daughter and husband had a party for me, and she told me I aged very well. She is now 37, the older of my two children.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 AM

I always say a gift card from a fabric store, this way I can get something I really want.

Cookie
Old 11-30-2010, 06:21 AM

Sounds like you have a very thoughtful son.What is a singer rockyteer?AmazingGrace.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:32 AM

I don't agree with "Please Go" I have a similar situation and have ceased to accept invitations from my daughter in law when I know her family will be present. They are a very talkative family and I am from a quiet family. I say "To each his own" No need to listen to anyone else. Use your own judgment.

Originally Posted by tjradj
Originally Posted by Mary M
With hubby gone now, it won't feel like Christmas. My daughter is having a huge crowd fom her husbands side and although she said I could come, I think I would feel out of place but that is okay because we did spend Thanksgiving together. I plan on giving and won't be concerned about getting for that is what Christmas means to me. There are a lot of kids out there who need a quilt to keep them warm and pajamas too. I feel good about giving I just don't like the shopping part. I pray that all children will have a warm and loving place al through the year.
Please go. This year you might feel uncomfortable, but if you go this year, then next year will be better. And you can start a "new" tradition of being included. Your grandkids will love having you there.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:19 AM

We have a charity here in Vermont called the christmas stocking where people and businesses can donate money and it all goes to mking sure all the local children up to 18 get winter outfits from boots jackets mitten hats etc.The works and its all brand new.Lots of peple knit hats and mitten and donate them,Its a wonderful program with alot of volunteers.We give to it each yr.and feel it o directly to a local needy child.No overhead paycks.Its done thru the newspaper and you just send in a ck.