LQS Survival >

LQS Survival

LQS Survival

Old 12-01-2010, 05:13 AM

I agree entirely.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:15 AM

I agree with your response.

Originally Posted by JT
Some of us will continue to support our local quilt store. I do a BOM and buy my fabric there. They are the ones that can help with questions. Not JoAnn's or Walmart. That's where I go to learn technique and new patterns. I buy some fabric at the other places, but if I want to do a nice project, I get the fabric at the LQS.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I am trying to support my local LQS's and other small businesses. It may cost me a little more and I may not be able to buy as much but I would be really sad if they went out of business and were not there when I need them.

I am with you. Not just for quilting, but I support local businesses whenever I can, whether it is LQS, local fish market, local farmer's market, local butcher,local book store etc. Doesn't mean I don't buy from other places, but I make an effort to show my face and spend some money with locals as often as I can. All of the establishments I shop with do appreciate my business greatly and go above and beyond to make sure I am satisfied and happy, can't beat that!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:21 AM

I buy online and at my LQS and occasionally drive to a shop 15 miles away. I've only once paid more than 10/yard, that was at a quilt show and I fell in love with that Batik and had to have some.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:03 AM

I live by the philosophy of "I purchase from businesses I want to see in business next year." For me, this applies to both local retailers and large companies.

Not all small businesses are wonderful nor are large companies necessarily evil.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I shop EVERYWHERE for fabric! I just found Connecting Threads batiks, and I am in LOVE! I love the 4 LQS's nearby, each specializes in a diffrent type of fabric!
I love buying from folks here, I have really gotten some bargins. Even trade a lady here. Walmart has some GREAT fabric, so do JoAnns and Hobby Lobby, and Ben Franklin. I coupon when I can and I DO try toshop the SALES!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Spydee
I live by the philosophy of "I purchase from businesses I want to see in business next year." For me, this applies to both local retailers and large companies.

Not all small businesses are wonderful nor are large companies necessarily evil.
Well said.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
I am a lucky woman. I tend to shop the bargains, but my husband has no problem walking into either one of our LQS and dropping a hundred dollars at a time to surprise me as the occasion arises. They love him. Not sure they would recognize me.
Ohhhh, would you share him with me? Mine wouldn't know what to do in my LQS. Let alone what kinds of fabric or notions I like. I'll trade!!! LOL
Old 12-01-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Speaking for myself, I'm on a much more restricted budget for my quilting hobby than I used to be. I try to use from my stash as much as possible. But.
But, when I do want to buy fabric, I will go to my LQS because if I'm going to invest in fabric, I want is to be good quality and I'm willing to save to get it.
I concur.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
I am a lucky woman. I tend to shop the bargains, but my husband has no problem walking into either one of our LQS and dropping a hundred dollars at a time to surprise me as the occasion arises. They love him. Not sure they would recognize me.
He must have a great sense of color and design that matches yours! How fantastic. For sure, he is a keeper! I'd be happy with gift cards!