Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
frustraited! >

frustraited!

frustraited!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

If you can't, you can't. Explain it to the family and let it go at that.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:53 AM

I love the little purse, I just bought that same butterfly material. Think I will copy after you!! And Gramma, the dollar store for little girls is a great place to shop. I did it last year for my 7 year old , bought hair items, lip gloss,( and real lipstick too) nail polish , bubble bath and lotion, hand cleaner, polish remover pads (ready to use) She loved it and still is using those things. Gel pins, post it notes, a big pack of white paper, stickers, beads and elastic for making braclets. For the little brother, I could find lots of little things in the party supply area, plus cars, play dough, puzzles. To make it more fun to open, I put it all in one big box, I wrapped everything so it took a few minutes to see what was there,LOL, And for the teen-agers, they love the cash rather than gift cards. That way they can shop where ever they like. I've also bought those big cans of flavored popcorn, cans of nuts.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 AM

I love that litle purse and I know it would l look great on a DG. Sure wish you had a pattern for it! Sewwwww cute. Mary M

Originally Posted by Up North
How about little wallets with a couple dollars tucked in them. There are a lot of simple patterns if you do a google search. The little kids think they are in heaven to have a grown up wallet with money in it. I made my grandaughter a simple little purse no pattern and filled it with things from the dollar tree. Pretend cell phone, little makeup mirror, lip gloss.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by Julie in NM
I agree. Don't sew. Shop! Gift cards are great. Kids and teens love CASH!!! Could get an inexpensive wallet, coin purse and put the money/gc inside. Get gift bags at dollar store..done! Focus on you and hubby. That's more important right now. No guilt now. You can sew for tkids during the year for your "therapy."
This is what I would tell you!
I agree. Work on your projects after Christmas or whenever you feel you can for next year and don't stress over it. Prepaid Visa cards, cash for older kids. Savings bonds and a small toy for the younger kids. My kids are so very happy now to see their bonds, now that they want to go to college and buy cars where as the toys, they no longer play with or remember who gave those toys to them.
Give them extra hugs. Hope you and your hubby get better soon.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:10 AM

A lady at church had sometimes such as you have, and she made little swatches from the intended project and took Christmas Cards and put slits inside page on left and stuck those swatches through the slits. At the signature space she added IOU, God Willing. Now that spoke volumes to me.

Blessings,
Ruth
Old 12-02-2010, 11:12 AM

Gift cards are definitely a good option - not too "fun" to give (they don't feel very personalized I guess), but very nice to receive. My 3 year old DS got one for his Bday and had a BLAST picking out what he could get with it (a good lesson in money, too, since he only had X amt of dollars to spend).

If you still want to make something, the pillowcases and purse/wallet combos are a good idea. Maybe some beanbags for the boys? I'm sure you could find tons of game ideas online to print out to go with them.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I am a grandmother of 11. There comes a time in one's life that you have to cry uncle. This is that time for you. Grandchildren LOVE having gift cards. Even my littles one at 3 was thrilled to have a "credit card". The older ones get what they want rather than things from gramma. Go ahead with gift cards -- even if it's only mere dollars. Explain that you're overwhelmed right now. Trust me, it'll be freeing for you!
I pray things will get better for you!!!! That's a lot to try to handle right now!

{{{HUGE}}}

d
I agree with this 100%...excellent idea!
Kids love having their own money and choices, even if you don't have much bc of medical bills.
It will help them feel better too, if they ever need to give themselves a break, so for this year, give yourself a break...um, not a good choice of words...let up on yourself? :thumbup:
Old 12-02-2010, 11:36 AM

Why not take a break and give them the gift of your time in creating their gift with you the older ones. My kids would love it if their grandma would do this. That way you cut down the gifts and get more time with the kids!!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:04 PM

I would gladly get gift cards if money allowed. The shortage of cash is why I sew from scraps I will try for smaller projects thank you for all the kind words. Jan
Old 12-02-2010, 12:08 PM

Go with the gift cards. Since I still can't sew due to shoulder surgery, my grandchildren are getting gift cards with a catch. After Christmas, I will take them shopping and do lunch with them. A day out with just the Grandkids adds a finishing touch to the holidays. This way it doesn't appear like "I only gave gift cards"...I am also giving them time with me one-on-one...NO Parents Allowed that day!