Newbies challenge

Old 12-03-2010, 06:22 PM

I am up for adoption. I am fixing to start putting together my great aunt's quilt that her mom started for her. My great grandmother started the quilt somewhere around the 40s. It is an applique tulip design and is gorgeous. the way she did the applique is just amazing. you can barely even see the stitches she used to applique the pieces.
I have the quilt top, and just purchased the supplies I'll need to finish it. as well as an early Christmas present to myself. A quilting frame. I haven't a clue to where I need to start, other than in the middle, and work my way out. I hand washed the quilt today in the bathtub, in hopes to get some of the age like stains on it. (my Great Aunt requested that I try to get the stains out. I told her I didn't mind them in there, since my great grandmother sewn it)
so that is where I am. a complete beginner and starting with hand quilting. I do sew very well and embroider as well as digitize embroider. I also run a paper route, so I don't have a lot of time for ME. but am even thinking of joining a homemakers club to give ME more time. I want to sew for FUN. I sew for business and need the enjoyment of not having to sew.
rebecca
Old 12-05-2010, 05:51 PM

Pick me......pick me....pick me......PuhlEASE pick me.......

I am definitely a newbie, as I explained in my intro....have always doe just block quilts, though have made many for grandbabies that are simly variations on rectangles and squares.
I did finally challenge myself personally to take on and complete a quilt from a magazine. I will post my finished creation which I am sure is riddled with errors.....uneven rows and squares....but my heart is filled with love as it is my first "official" quilt. It is called Saddle Tramps and I can give you the magazine edition if anyone needs/wants it.

I need help inlearning..have never taken a class though my mama taught me how to sew as she made all of my clothes as a child. she is now 82 and is stricken with cancer and is not in the position to teach or even sew any longer. We care for her on weekends and fill her with warmth, memories and smiles.......
Old 12-05-2010, 06:11 PM

If I can be of help, please ask and if I can't answer you will get lots of help on this web site. Bless your dear Mother. My Mother is 95. Suzanne
Old 12-06-2010, 04:13 PM

I've been quilting since I was about 8 (I'm retiring now!) and still learning. I try to pick projects with techniques I haven't tried before or don't feel comfortable with yet. The day I think I don't have anything more to learn I'll pack up my needles and give away my stash. My point is, newbie or professional, never stop learning, someone can always show you something new.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:20 PM

All you have to do is begin! You'll learn from each thing you make. I just started 18 months ago. At that point, I had no idea how to do anything. Had to learn how to rotary cut, figure out patterns rulers, etc. I am just now finally getting comfortable reading patterns and learning new techniques.

The best you can do is stay involved with blogs like these where knowledgeable people share what they know. There are so many nice people who are willing to share and help.

Good Luck! You can do it!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:04 PM

Hello everyone!
I may be unadoptable..1st I am a male(strike one LOL)2nd I have hands like catchers mits. I have never sewn before, I don't own a machine. I became disabled about 2 years ago and have since taught myself to draw paint and knit. One thing I have in my favor is my determination. I WILL learn to become a quilter! I have already learned a lot the short time I have been on this site. I plan on doing a rail fence quilt for my first as this seems like a fairly simple quilt. So if there is a brave soul out there that think they can help me I would be forever grateful!
Old 12-10-2010, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by davidwent
Hello everyone!
I may be unadoptable..1st I am a male(strike one LOL)2nd I have hands like catchers mits. I have never sewn before, I don't own a machine. I became disabled about 2 years ago and have since taught myself to draw paint and knit. One thing I have in my favor is my determination. I WILL learn to become a quilter! I have already learned a lot the short time I have been on this site. I plan on doing a rail fence quilt for my first as this seems like a fairly simple quilt. So if there is a brave soul out there that think they can help me I would be forever grateful!
David, I don't think I'm good enough to teach anyone but my grand daughters and thats only because they're here a lot of the time! But I want to say I admire your drive and determination! Hang in there, you'll be a pro in no time! :thumbup:
Old 12-10-2010, 05:07 PM

David, we are all learning from each other so please don't hesitate to ask whatever questions you have and we will all be glad to help you. If i knew enough to help you I would adopt you, but feel free to ask questions of me at anytime.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
Hello everyone!
Hoping this works for you, I've PM you and will be happy to help. Like the ladies have said, you can always ask anyone here for help also. I think the best way to "connect" to someone is by PMs to know if someone is helping you or your still waiting.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Hello Everybody, Iam a newbie ! Lol.Am enjoying The Quilting Board & all the beautiful patterns.Just following around here, learning as I go. We live in Minnesota and a storm is brewing , so thought this is a good time to check this out. Happy Holidays all.