Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Wings  "Block" >

Wings "Block"

Wings "Block"

Old 11-10-2010, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cuddly Quilter
Hi Rhanda - how do i get to purchase you Ebook?
I have been quilting for 10 years and been on 3 courses. BUT AM NOW extremely interested in learning the SHORT CUTS - cannot believe that i have not been shown them. Could have saved me hours and hours of work. grrrrrr.. But not to worry, i have learnt "the hard way" and am now still learning
and hopefully "the friendly way" :lol:
Hi CQ just look down in my signature section and you will see the links. thanks!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the tute, I hope it is as easy as it looks.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:06 AM
BMP

Very nice thank you, I dont think I am ready to try this yet tho !
Old 11-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BMP
Very nice thank you, I dont think I am ready to try this yet tho !
Every method isn't for everyone. But if it is because it looks hard to you I assure you I have had beginners do them and they find them easy to do! the steps are easy and when you get done you have an intricate looking piecework that was really easy to do. It is all about knowing the tricks.

1 cut swatches
2 sew two together
3 cut the angle
4 repeat for the other side
5 sew the two sides together
6 cut out a square from the center.
Now you have a wings block.
This is not hard to do just takes a bit of time to do.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 PM

Enjoyed this tutorial Rhonda! Can't wait to get my templates and try it. I'm going to check out your E books too.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:32 PM

Happy New Year back to you, Rhonda, & thanks again for the Tutes. I've been trying to work on the Boston Blocks, but my rotary cutting needs work. I'm thinking about one of the smaller (I have a 45mm Olfa) ones with open space around the blade. Hope to go to Hobby Lobby tomorrow. They have the 40% off coupons, so need to print it out.

I'll be working on a few items for my Niece in Seattle, WA, who is getting married Feb 5th in Kenya, South Africa. They leave the 29th of Jan, so this will give me a couple of weeks. I've never met her before, but we connected on Facebook (of all places) & I'm thrilled for her & her Soon-To-Be. His parents must be Missionaries there & they dig wells. His Dad will do the Ceremony, then they will go to the US Embassy to have the paperwork made official. Don't we just love weddings? TTUL.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

What fun to have a differant sort of wedding than we are used to! I wish them both well. I connected with a couple of nieces I hadn't seen in a long time on FB and my dad's brother and his sons. It is so much fun to connect with people I haven't seen in years. I also connected with a childhood friend who is in the Phillipines as a missionary. I haven't seen him in 40 yrs!! ButI spent alot of time at their house as a kid and spent many many hours playing with Jay and his sister Judy. Our families were really close. But time and distance takes you in differant directions. I was so thrilled to reconnect!

Hope the smaller rotary cutter works for you. Some of it may just take some practice. maybe you can get Eden to help you sometime. She can cut out some stuff ahead for you if you can twist her arm to take the time to help grandma!! LOL
Old 01-03-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by scrappylouisa
Beautiful block.......but it also looks like a waste of fabric to me. I've always been frugal with my fabric and lay out my templates to save fabric.
Correct me if I'm wrong but these blocks that Rhonda is teaching are little tiny things that would be almost impossible to make in the regular way. Rhonda, I love your little blocks!! :D
Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by scrappylouisa
Beautiful block.......but it also looks like a waste of fabric to me. I've always been frugal with my fabric and lay out my templates to save fabric.
Correct me if I'm wrong but these blocks that Rhonda is teaching are little tiny things that would be almost impossible to make in the regular way. Rhonda, I love your little blocks!! :D
The original reason I created this shortcut is to make the tiny piecing possible in an easy way. To me a little leftover that can be recycled is worth the time and effort to get an intricate look with easy steps.

However you can use any size template to make these blocks. I now show the 12 1/2" quilt block that uses a 2 1/2" template. You don't have to make tiny stuff to use the method.

I also have been working on coming up with a way to minimize the leftovers for those who find it impossible to just cut a swatch. I too am frugal. I use the leftovers til there is nothing but threads left.

We use them to make smaller "Blocks" or I use them in a crazy quilt block or you can use them for stuffing.

We make a 1 1/2" Boston and then take the leftovers and pull them apart and make a 1 1/4" Boston and then use the leftovers to make a 1" Boston, Nothing is wasted in my quilting. It just may take on a new purpose.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 PM
QM
Power Poster

Looks very good, but I suspect paper piecing would be easier.