Newbies challenge

Old 12-16-2010, 04:54 PM

I strongly suggest good reference books, learning DVDs, and taking local classes especially hands on learning.
Check your local library, they usually have plenty to get you started.

Then I have collected several Beginner Basic's books, and found a few to become my favorites, so here they are:

"Quilting, the basics and beyond" by Jeri Simon includes a DVD.
"200 Quilting tips, techniques, and trade secrets" by Susan Briscoe
"Tips for Quilters, a handbook of hints, shortcuts, and practical suggestions from experienced quilters" by Rachel T Pellman
My newest is "The Quilter's Catalog, a comprehensive resource guide" by Cox

I happened to join Crafters Choice, getting great discounts on books. I also watch Ebay for books & DVDs. I always buy from classes I take, especially Natl. Teachers. Elenor Burns has fun DVDs & I buy her book with each, and often there are rulers to go with the book/DVD.

If you watch on Ebay also, I've bought NEW tools, rulers, rotary cutters, and fabric's...and saved quite a lot. Watch for 100%sellers and free shipping, or note the shippng cost in your bids. Have shopped around to know your bidding is reasonable or you could buy locally & save. I always use paypal only.

And then sign up for the sales flyer through JoAnn fabrics, those 40% come in handy, I've bought larger purchases like my tall cutting table with drop leaf sides, iron, lights, large yds of fabric, quilt books, cutting mats, things that are going to cost, I wait for coupons. Good tools, and the right tools and working station makes your quilting project enjoyable and not frustrating.

Often local quilt shops offering classes, will offer the fabric, pattern & any special tools/rulers on sale for the class. Make sure as a newbie, you only take on a "Beginner" level class until your comfortable with your skills, then move to Intermediate level projects.

Join a quilt guild, quilters tend to be very helpful and friendly, our local guilds are $15 & $20/yr dues, meet once a month. They usually offer a sample project lesson. Participate with your projects proudly in a show & tell or trunk show or local quilt show.

And don't be afraid to post a question, we're here to help as best we can via internet and not being there beside you.
Quilting is a wonderful skill, fun hobby, and should be relaxing and enjoyable.

If your just returning to quilting, needing inspiration and encouragement, find a project that will be finished quicker. Like a wall hanging, baby quilt or lap quilt, table runner, or bed scarf. When you see a finished project, it's rewarding. When you have UFOs building up, you may tend to drop your quilting. Once your back into the swing of quilting, you'll find yourself picking up larger full size quilt projects. Then challenge yourself to grow with new techniques and patterns. Hope these things help you quilters. Debbie
Old 12-16-2010, 05:05 PM

I'm an intermediate quilter and I'll adopt you and can teach you what what i know or we can find the answers together. I also can go my my old quilting teacher and find out from her. i have finished three complete quilts and have three more I'm completing, and making more everytime I see a new pattern i like.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 PM

Hello, I have been applique quilting for about 30 years I have completed all of the Gingham Goose baby quilts. I just started this type of quilting in Jan of this year. I have completed a few quilts & one table topper but have lots to learn. I have never mitered corners, FMQ'd or paperpieced.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:04 PM

Please help me, I want to be adopted and have posted several times as well as PMd the coordinator and tkhooper and i find nothing on the board. What am I doing wrong that I'm not showing up anywhere?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:05 PM

I'm just a lost orphan. I can't even find me.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:18 PM

Forgot to mention that I would love to be adopted.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gail B
Hello, I have been applique quilting for about 30 years I have completed all of the Gingham Goose baby quilts. I just started this type of quilting in Jan of this year. I have completed a few quilts & one table topper but have lots to learn. I have never mitered corners, FMQ'd or paperpieced.
Mitered corners and paper piecing has lessons and tutorial links or youtubes to watch, posted earlier today.

I took 2 days classes with Sharon Shamber, here is a tutorial video of her free motion quilting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMctHEglLaU

Skillbuilders has a book, DVD, and practice preprinted panels. then it advances from there. I have the complete set, it's a wonderful learning tool from pinning the quilt, to techniques from stitch in ditch to feathers. Well worth the investment. http://www.ericas.com/quilting/tools/skillbuilder.htm
Old 12-16-2010, 11:49 PM

Hi virtualbernie,
I pmd you once before, but maybe you didn't recieve it. I would love to be adopted. I am attempting FMQ, adding photos to quilts and quilt-as-you-go methods. I have made a few simple quilt tops but have yet to quilt any. Please help.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tropical
Hi virtualbernie,
I pmd you once before, but maybe you didn't recieve it. I would love to be adopted. I am attempting FMQ, adding photos to quilts and quilt-as-you-go methods. I have made a few simple quilt tops but have yet to quilt any. Please help.
I Looked back a few pages, who's virtualbernie? Are you on the right location in the group?

I have adopted someone, but I'm usually around, and would be happy to help if someone is not getting response to be adopted, you can PM me and we'll see if what you want, and what I have experience in, will match. I'm willing to help anyone I can, and I'll always watch and put links to instructions or tutorials or youtube videos as best I can to any posted questions.

If your totally new, please look back a few pages, I've posted twice the acranyms for quilting. I've also posted many links to questions that could help you as well. And I've posted about a few good books and places for you to locally find help. I don't want to appear rude for not responding each time to be adopted.

Maybe we could post IF your able to adopt, at least your an Intermediate quilter with beyond basic skills... please post. IF you want to be adopted and have NOT yet been, or no respoonse, post again and what your level of learning, your sewing machine (helps if we know problems to resolve), and what you want to learn. Then we should have a fresh list as this newbie's is several pages long, who knows who's been helped. If you feel you would like to connect to someone, please make sure they know and are current on this newbie site...or simply PM them. If you do not know how to PM, don't be shy asking, as your probably not the only one...the site has many wonderful options. I hope we can get you ladies buddied up soon.

Debbie in ND, I have Baby Lock Ellegante II, I'm an Intermediate/advanced quilter who also loves learning new techniqes/patterns. I'm a tool junkie, probably have it, tried it, and could share if it's worth it or not. I also love machine embroidery projects. I've taken over 2 dozen classes, and from 5 national teachers (I posted notes from recent classes also). You can always ask, and I'll try to answer your questions. If I post a link and it's still confusing, don't be shy, simply ask more detail of your question so it can be answered more completely. Let's get quilting!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 02:11 PM

Tropical, I said I would adopt you. You aren't lost.