Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting without frame >
  • Quilting without frame

• Quilting without frame

Old 10-03-2010, 04:37 AM

I am hand quilting a wallhanging right now and am not using a frame. It can be done if the quilt sandwich has been basted very good. I don't know about a full size bed quilt cuz have never tried it. I bet the same holds true--it can be done if the basting job is a good one.

Chris
    Old 10-03-2010, 05:50 AM

I don't use a frame or hoop, just drape the quilt over my knees, cats, dog, whatever. I like being able to move the quilt. I'm working on my 5th bed size quilt.
    Old 12-17-2010, 09:21 PM

I'm Fairly new at quilting and I'm glad to hear that because I find my self miserable with a hoop.... I just would like some insite on quilting this way without getting little tucks. Maybe the spray basting would work better for me in small areas at a time any sugguestions
    Old 12-18-2010, 05:37 AM

I use spray baste on my quilts but I still pin about every 8-10 inches apart. I pin a little more around the outside edges on large quilts. It takes me a while to finish a handquilting project plus I move it around and put it away sometimes. This keeps it from shifting position; I don't know how long spray baste alone would keep holding it correctly. (to be honest I have a quilt I started a year ago and it's in the cupboard, don't know when I'll get back to it. With the pins and spray basting, I know it will stay in place) Just keep checking the back and smoothing it as needed, moving the pins if necessary. Good luck.
    Old 12-18-2010, 09:51 AM

I've tried quilting on a frame and on a hoop and neither is comfortble for me. I'm going to try hand quilt using neither as others have done. I hope I will like this method better. I've always been told you needed a frame or a hoop and everyone I know uses one or the other. Didn't know it was possible without one. Hope it works out for me because I love the look of hand quilting.
    Old 12-18-2010, 10:10 AM

My hands don't work with a frame or hoop for quilting. Being totally right-handed, as long as I get get my left hand to the underside of the quilt, I can stitch just fine. After pinning (checking and double-checking the sandwich), I start quilting as near to the center as I can and work outward in all directions. Works for me!