Newbies challenge

Old 12-17-2010, 03:47 PM

Would someone like to adopt me. I am a beginner I feel and I need help really bad, don't know where to begin have a few projects and I am inspired to do a couple other projects. I would love to be adopted.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:40 AM

Morning star, I can adopt you do if you need me to. I'm intermediate and has been quilting for about 10 years. I have finished about 6 quilts and working on more.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:45 PM

I have been quilting for several years, but I am labled a costumer in stead of a quilter. Mostley everyone here says I sew to fast, make inpulsive decisons etc.
Because I was a costumer house director for california's longest running community theater for 18 years and got a little tired of making things for others and keeping the budget close you can't imagine taking costumes from Hello Dolly with a cast of 80 and for the next season recycle them to the King and I. I had 18 years of that. So it has carried over into my quilting. So I would love a mentor I really need help with my piecing and seams and binding. I have included some pictures of the quilts I have hade this year.
Any Help would be appreciated.

toddler quilt Card trick, no quilting , Can't think of a patterns to use......HELP
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145010[/ATTACH]

Colors dont show well, There are really CoCo brown and Periwikle as you can see on the far right some of the points got seamed under . Help , no quilting again, just top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145011[/ATTACH]

Crazy Circles Pattern was really fun to do, but by quilting buddies said I should enter it in the Madi Grau Parade for best costume. Need help with Quilitng pattern again., that my Grandautghter Ashley holding up the quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145012[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-145005.jpe
Views:	12
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	145010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-145006.jpe
Views:	20
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	145011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-145007.jpe
Views:	13
Size:	3.90 MB
ID:	145012  
Old 12-18-2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by rfbrazell
I have been quilting for several years, but I am labled a costumer in stead of a quilter. Mostley everyone here says I sew to fast, make inpulsive decisons etc.
Because I was a costumer house director for california's longest running community theater for 18 years and got a little tired of making things for others and keeping the budget close you can't imagine taking costumes from Hello Dolly with a cast of 80 and for the next season recycle them to the King and I. I had 18 years of that. So it has carried over into my quilting. So I would love a mentor I really need help with my piecing and seams and binding. I have included some pictures of the quilts I have hade this year.
Any Help would be appreciated.
Go back to pgs 81 & 82, I shared some notes I took from a quilt retreat, it explains about balance working your sandwich quilting. If you note through the pgs, I've posted several notes or links to help. Do you want to quilt yourself, or send to a long arm quilter? I send mine to the LAQ, and 'hope' to have my own LQmachine by next fall? I've taken classes, bought books & DVDs to learn LAQ, but no machine yet.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:05 PM

Thank you so much for the info. I am going to get this down
We have obtained a lot of quilting items as we both lov e to quilt and plan on a cottage business when we both retire.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:52 AM

I would love to be adopted!!! I have only made 2 quilted projects. A wall hanging which was my first and a baby quilt. I really really want to be taken under someones wing..Merry Christmas and Blessings to all
Old 12-19-2010, 01:18 PM

"Follow The Leader", it's where someone posts step by step instructions to a basic quilt, the group could do together, and post photos to share. This is a nice project for beginning quilters to learn one basic pattern after another.
It's suggested you do a very simple quilt first, then move up each time to more difficult patterns. Also suggested you do wall hanging sizes, if they wish to continue the pattern to make it bigger, they do so on their own. Example the simple 9-patch, creating 9 blocks, or sewing 35 blocks for a larger quilt, etc. Would any of our newbie's be interested in this? Would any of our experienced quilters like to help? Perhaps someone sign up for each new quilt technique/pattern. 4 or 9-patch. Split Rail or basket weave. Snowball or Churn Dash. They (beginners) start with learning to line up seams & corners, then onto triangles, then curves. And sashing, borders, bindings, then machine quilting. And the teacher should find good youtube or tutorial video's to post links so they can view, or provide one they create themselves. And a link to a pattern, there are hundreds of free block & quilt patterns online. Anyone interested? Maybe it help those who are starting from step one. Those returning, a refresher course, and those who've quilted but had problems some solutions. Just a thought.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:08 PM

hello I'am a newbie and i need to be adopted.I've enjoyed this board so much, all the good advice and info.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:42 PM

would love to find a sewing partner near my area!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:15 PM

Where is your area?