Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing your stash >

Organizing your stash

Organizing your stash

Old 12-19-2010, 04:43 PM

I would be nervous about using non acid free material unless I covered it with something. I've seen some weird staining on fabrics and paper when they were in contact with cardboard or newsprint (unprinted) for a long period of time.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
I sort most of my fabric by color; my scraps and my fabrics in general. I seperate my I spy fabrics, flannels, and stripes. My fleece and sheets are in their own bookcase with some overflow onto another one. My fq sized pieces I store in CD cabinets. Here are a few pics to show you:
Wow, Linda that is impresive you are really organized. Rita
Old 12-19-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by gale
I would be nervous about using non acid free material unless I covered it with something. I've seen some weird staining on fabrics and paper when they were in contact with cardboard or newsprint (unprinted) for a long period of time.
Hmmm, hadn't heard of a problem like that, I will have to keep an eye on it. I do have some white contac paper I could cover the cardboard with or isn't that such a good idea either?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Mine is sorted by the length of the cut and then by color. All the fat quarters are in a dresser. The half yards and yards are in another dresser that's my cutting table. All the two yard cuts are in stacks in a bookcase. Anything longer than that is wound on coroplast boards and on the bookcase and on some open shelves.
You have to be careful when storing stash in a dresser, the wood can deteriorate the cloth. The wood needs to have a finish on it.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:28 AM

???SEWWHAT85???

what kind of block are you useing as your avatar in the email send that is pink and brown. I like it, want to make it-lol
Old 12-22-2010, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Boscobd
Mine is sorted by color mostly. I do have some by category such as florals, animal fabrics, Christmas, Halloween, other holidays, baby, etc. I have my stash in covered opaque totes with labels on the ends even tho I can tell the colors through the sides. They are stacked in my spare bedroom closet. Sometimes it's a pain to be unstacking and then re-stacking the totes (I always want the fabric in the bottom tote!), but I figure that's part of my "keep limber so I can continue quilting" exercise program!
I also have mine color coded in big clear plastic boxes. the fat quarters and smaller pieces are done the same but are stored in cardboard boxes representing their color. I am still trying to organise my sewing/ computer room so it will be a while before I get it finished.