Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is this common ? >
  • Is this common ?

• Is this common ?

Old 12-29-2010, 05:04 PM

Just reading some of the other quilters' contributions, I have noticed too that my LQS's do tear the wide fabric for backing. I have never asked for it to be cut, thinking there's probably a reason why they tear it, and I've never had a problem with my wide backing as a result.
    Old 12-29-2010, 05:11 PM

Tearing fabric is not commonly done now days since the fabric making/weaving process has become much more refined and quality fabrics usually have a pretty straight grain.
    You only tear 100% cotton, some silks and some velvets as it will give you the true grain of the fabric. That makes it easier to square up your yardage for anything you are making. A distorted grain can ruin all your hard work in making the perfect item be it a quilt, bag, dress or potholder. If you are buying fabric of questionable quality, ask the clerk to rip it--if it doesn't tear, it isn't 100% cotton that means you may not be able to straighten the grain if it's crooked. If you really love it (the fabric), you may need to change your plans for it.
    Old 12-29-2010, 05:15 PM

I have seen fabric both cut and torn. Tearing is suppose to give it a true straight cut. The local quilt shops around here are very precise when they cut using a ruler with lip to get a straight cut. One store even had a slit in their cutting table to use a guide. I prefer a cut edge because when I wash and its already ragged it tends to get more so
    Old 12-29-2010, 05:24 PM

I have found that when they tear the fabric, you lose a couple of inches from the horizontal threads "pulling" as they rip. I always ask them to cut and have never had a sales rep refuse. Sometimes you lose a couple of inches as the fabric isn't cut "on grain", so either way I always buy extra. :)
    Old 12-29-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Some people prefer to rip/tear their fabric instead of cutting it. Would it be too demanding for you to ask them to cut rather than rip/tear? I don't think so. I also don't like the frayed edges it leaves, nor do I want to be buying fabric that might have been distorted by this method of "cutting". I'll be interested to see other people's replies.
    Usually when the cut the don't you need a table with the straight cutting whatever on it - if the rip the fabric - maybe they are not set up to cut it.
    Old 12-29-2010, 05:48 PM

Some LQS rip instead of cut. I was told that it will be sure to
    be on the straight of the grain. I don't like the rips either but that
    is the reasoning for ripping.
    Old 12-29-2010, 05:53 PM

When I took home economics in high school we were taught that tearing gives a true grain to the fabric edge. Don't know if that's actually true or not. But, I have always done it that way. I just trim off the raveled edges.I only do this on cotton or cotton blends.
    Frankie
    Old 12-29-2010, 05:59 PM

I like mt torn becuse it tear with grain
    Old 12-29-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by bj
    Some shops tear, most cut. With tearing you do get a truer straight grain across the end. Most of the time, when I get home with "cut" fabric, I lose some on the end from having to square it up. So I'm not sure, in the long run, if it matters whether you lose it from "squaring" or from "neatening" the end.
    Most fabrics tend to twist when being rolled onto the bolts at the manufacturer, and can be off by as much as 4-6 inches at the beginning of a brand new bolt. Many untrained staff at some of the fabric stores don't know of this, and just cut without evening up the fabric first. Ripping of wovens is actually more accurate. I was trained to only cut true woven plaids such as ginghams, and then a single layer at a time. Does it matter? If you are putting on a pair of pants (chinos) that have not been cut on a true straight grain, they will pull in the seat with every step you take. On a quilt of small pieces it may not be as important.
    Old 12-29-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by JulieM
    My LQS tears the extra wide backing material, they cut the rest.

I have had the LQS, Joann's and Hancocks all cut fabric so far off that I had to cut off more than four inches to square up my fabric. I don't care what they do really, as long as I do not have wasted fabric.
    JulieM
    I have had the same problem (Joann's) & would lose inches because of uneven measurements. I did email the company and also returned the fabric to Joann's & asked for the right yardage. It is frustrating & inconvenient to say the least. I know the employees are instructed to cut the exact amount and not give an extra inch. What could be a solution to this problem ?
    I have never had my fabric ripped, always cut with a rotary cutter.