Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah! >

You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah!

You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah!

Old 01-05-2011, 03:13 AM

My Hubby said for every tote of fabric I get he was gonna get a guitar,no problem,he really does not know how much fabric I can fit into a tote and that the totes are now bigger :D :roll:
Oh well he really doesn't care as long as we don't go in debt for our hobbies.
But I have not thought about insureing those 8 totes +
Something to think about!!!! :D
Old 01-05-2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by mimom
oh, that was funny, I needed a good laugh. :)
Ditto
Hubby does not have any idea really what i have - but he does know that whenever i order from overseas it is costing me R1000 a shot. All my debits on the credit card goes to his phone, so i cannot hide, even if is buying milk, bread etc from the local spar to having facials, to whatever. I THINK HE HAS GIVEN UP ON ME as it does make me very happy. :P
Old 01-05-2011, 05:21 AM

lol! my niece just posted on FB the other day that she had 48 pairs of shoes in her new closet.....I'm sitting here wondering HOW do you wear that many pairs? I might have 10 pairs....might. I'm one to get a pair of shoes and wear them till they fall apart!. And while i don't have much of a stash I'm not sure I'd tell him and exact amount. Course with what he spends on cigarettes he couldn't say anything!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 AM

You can claim fabric on taxes? Sh** I've been missing out for the last 20+ yrs! LOL I too went thru my fabrics when they were just in the stackable milk crates. Some of it was $3.96 a yd from Wal Mart, some $8 from quilt shops. So I sorted them into piles & added it up & I (we) too were surprised in how much $$$$$ is involved in just fabric alone! Not to mention my machinesssssssss, my supplies, notions, threads.........It's a forgiving hobby tho! He forgives if I hobby! I am saving my receipts starting the first of the year just to see how much I do spend on quilting. Just for MY curosity. DH doesn't mind like a lot of others on here, as long as I don't let the bills go & go into debt he doesn't mind. It keeps me out of his hair, what's left to it! :lol:
Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 AM

Never thought of how much fabric, sewing machines and if a person has a long arm should be included on insurance. I have a high amount on contents insurance but don't know if a person has to prove price. If something did happen where there was a fire it would be hard to prove. Maybe the cost of expensive quilting items should be put in a safe place with other documents.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

When I talked to my insurance guy, he said that if it is "personal hobby", even my expensive sewing machines were no problem under Homeowners...BUT...if I SELL anything..I need to insure it as "commercial use". You all might want to be careful about that part. For some reason, they have a hard time believing how many of us make LOTS of quilts, then give them away.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 AM

I'm with Mrspete, nice to be single in this regard. I have no one to answer to but me. Luv it!!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by wilmak
My hubby found my secret stash a couple of years ago. Believe it or not, all he said was that maybe we should rent a climate controlled storage place. I have been blessed with a very understanding husband. In fact, we have been married 47 yrs today. Do you think we can attribute that to the sewing machines, fabric , books, and gadgets? He has even bought me some of the gadgets and helped me pick out fabric. I think I will keep him around for a while.
Oh yes, he's a keeper. Congratulations. And may you both enjoy even more years ahead. :-D
Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 AM

that's good information. thanks! My DH helped me re-organize by buying additional 6 ft shelves to store my fabric in one place. I now have 9 shelves of "filled" fabric. He also commented on the cost sitting there. He's more aware of fabric costs so, after reading this, maybe we should increase our house insurance too.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 AM

I'm also blessed with an understanding hubby. I recently upgraded my serger and he simply said...."you needed it". It's a BabyLock Enlighten and absolutely love it !! Although it was $1700 with my trade-in, it's more than worth it.... We've been married 26 years and counting.

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by wilmak
My hubby found my secret stash a couple of years ago. Believe it or not, all he said was that maybe we should rent a climate controlled storage place. I have been blessed with a very understanding husband. In fact, we have been married 47 yrs today. Do you think we can attribute that to the sewing machines, fabric , books, and gadgets? He has even bought me some of the gadgets and helped me pick out fabric. I think I will keep him around for a while.
Oh yes, he's a keeper. Congratulations. And may you both enjoy even more years ahead. :-D