Newbies challenge

Old 01-06-2011, 09:33 AM

Not many would want a quilt hanging from the ceiling, unless it was a workshop or quilting studio. But that same frame can be fastened to modified saw-horse legs. One of our quilters remembers her mother's hung above the bed; she converted the hanging frame to one that is attached to 2 slender saw-horses (one at each end). Another inexpensive frame is using 2 rails made of 2x2 (square) lumber, long enough to accommodate the shortest length of your quilt -- plus another 12", then these can be put into 2 end pieces (frame) that have a slot cut for ea. rail to sit in & legs attached to the the bottoms for stability. It much simpler to make than it sounds. There are basic frame instructions on the web. I made mine about 5 yrs ago & it only cost about $50 for the lumber (I got red oak for strength) - I didn't stain it, but put on a clear sealer. It's got a LOT of years left in it & stores under my bed when not in use. Another inexpensive option is a PVC frame (Q-snap) when you can get one on sale or make your own. 4 people can get around the Q-Snap frame (1 each side), which is about 28" x 36" & stands about 30" high. Don't be discouraged -- there are inexpensive options.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Im so disappointed Im trying to make a quilt out of jelly rolls only, everything doenst work out i dont know how to arrange them in a pattern that looks attractive. I have sewed like 4 strips together and then cut them into 2 1/2 strips and if I try to cut a 6"inch square but its not square I have the template and so careful and using a rotary cutter. Help me before I go insanse.

Nancy Ritchotte
Old 01-06-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by candykisses31061
Im so disappointed Im trying to make a quilt out of jelly rolls only, everything doenst work out i dont know how to arrange them in a pattern that looks attractive. I have sewed like 4 strips together and then cut them into 2 1/2 strips and if I try to cut a 6"inch square but its not square I have the template and so careful and using a rotary cutter. Help me before I go insanse.

Nancy Ritchotte
Nancy, It's hard to say what could be going wrong.... Here are some things to check -- 1) are you using a 1/4" foot to keep your seams consistent? 2) Are you laying the jelly roll strips out to find a pleasing arrangement? Don't stress to much about this as some really nice quilts have come out of a haphazard arrangement. 3) Are you pressing your seams flat (don't stretch while ironing - press up & down), so they're as smooth as possible before re-cutting with your 6" template? You can apply clear silicon pads to prevent the template from slipping. Make sure you cut from the best angle (usually right from bottom to top), even if you have to turn the fabric & reset it each time. Good luck. Don't give up.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 AM

I understand your frustration. I too try and be as careful as possilbe to cut perfect squares. Only thing I've been doing different is I use a ruler and measure it from end of fabric to the clear ruler I use to roter cut with and that seems to help keep it the same measurment all the way down the strip I'm cutting.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:28 PM

Another way to keep your 6 1/2 inch square from moving while you are cutting your fabric is to use that non slip (kind of rubber stuff) that you line cabinet selves with. Just cut a small piece to put under the template and you won't have slipping issues. I have used the silicone "dots" on the back of my rulers but I don't like them because they won't lay flat on the fabric.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:34 PM

I appreciate the eplies

Nancy Ritchotte
Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 PM

Nancy, I press mine a little different. Don't "open" the seam when you press. I start on the back of the fabric I have just sewn together and I press one way on one block and the opposite on the next block. This way when you put your blocks together they kind of "click" together. I hope this makes sense.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tsanchez
Nancy, I press mine a little different. Don't "open" the seam when you press. I start on the back of the fabric I have just sewn together and I press one way on one block and the opposite on the next block. This way when you put your blocks together they kind of "click" together. I hope this makes sense.
Also keeps that bulk down for quilting afterwards. Some are taught to press to the dark always. I like this opposite pressing you mentioned here, I do this way too.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:50 PM

I'm up for adoption also. Just finished my first 9 piece block with triangles. Hooooo the problems I encountered. HELP
Old 01-06-2011, 11:51 PM

Wow! Did I come in at the right time. I am a brand new quilter. I have 1 1/2 quilts under my belt and hope to have many, many more. As a matter of fact, I haven't even gotten my first top quilted yet. I am definitely up for adoption. H E L P ! I have lots of questions ready. I have the ability to learn. lol