Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Purple and green square in a square - WIP - inspired by Ms. Charismah >

Purple and green square in a square - WIP - inspired by Ms. Charismah

Purple and green square in a square - WIP - inspired by Ms. Charismah

Old 01-10-2011, 03:28 PM

Very beautiful!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:49 PM

this is beautiful-love the pattern and colors-I'd also like to know where to get the pattern :lol:
Old 01-10-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by dyer804
Your thoughtfulness is touching! I taught junior high for 35 years and had a student with a similar disorder my last year. Mine was one of three classes she could attend with any regularity. I was so impressed with her effort keeping up with her work in the face of such hardship. She did more than many students who were healthy! As I was reading your post, I thought of my student and really appreciate your kindness to such a deserving child. Bless you.
My student did so much work during the semester, and Geometry isn't the easiest thing to learn without the in-class work. She said sitting/laying in bed and working wasn't too bad for her, it was just the actual process of getting to school, sitting in a desk, and staying there all day that was horrible. Plus with the pain medication wearing off and not being able to take more until a certain time, school didn't work so well. But she kept up with the homework. She would give me a packet of homework (she didn't miss ONE assignment for the semester) any time she made it to class, and turned in every test and quiz. She was surprised to end the semester with an A (since other than the final, she had made everything up) when every other class gave her an Incomplete. She definitely earned it.

And unrelated, I love your avatar!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:11 PM

very pretty quilt. Thanks for sharing. Eiltcoq.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Many moons ago I saw this quilt by Charismah - http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36526-1.htm and bookmarked it in my 'awesome patterns I want to do someday' file. This is a block for Quilterscache.

I have made about 6 quilts (with 5 more tops in progress) for Quilts For Kids which go to hospitalized children. Unrelatedly, I teach high school math. I have a student with fibromyalgia (spelling) who missed about 30 days of school last semester. It's painful for her to sit and move and write and she can't carry her backpack. It's sad to see someone so young in so much pain. I email her the notes every day and she kept up with the homework and did the tests at home (with parent supervision, so no questions about her cheating). Even with the absences, she had a high A for the semester. What really hit home for me was when we were having a student-parent-all teachers conference (since we do that for every kid with a chronic illness) and her dad said they're going up to Phoenix Children's Hospital for the weekend to run tests and hopefully come up with a treatment. And which weekend was this? Thanksgiving weekend. And it occurred to me that I'm making quilts for children who I don't even know, and here is a kid who I know is suffering and so I decided to make a quilt for her. I asked her dad (since he volunteers at the school once per week) about what colors/things she likes (backing is going to be horses) and I made this top. Thankfully she seems to be doing better. They attached some little box thing that gives her electrical shocks so she's in less pain (forgive the lack of medical details... basically she's doing better). She was at school for most of Dec and most of Jan so far, and seems to be doing a lot better.

I just finished piecing the blocks together. They went incredibly quickly. I'm going to add a 6" border in the black flower center fabric. The close up picture is more true-color than the full picture.
What a beautiful quilt for a very deserving girl. I am guessing she is going to love it. Teachers are such special people.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Very pretty!
I'm sure she'll LOVE it!!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:19 PM

I have fabric put away to make a quilt with this block. The fabrics are blues and whites. Lover your colors!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:36 PM

The quilt is beautiful - I think she's going to love it. We really do need more teachers like you.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 PM

I'll bet she loves it!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 PM

My kind of colours, beautiful :-D