Newbies challenge

Old 01-16-2011, 01:08 PM

Hi, I am a newbe and looking for a load of help...what are all the FMQ and whatever mean? I have a Estane tht is about 5 years old and hardly used. Will someone take me on?
Old 01-16-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Neebee2
Hi, I am a newbe and looking for a load of help...what are all the FMQ and whatever mean? I have a Estane tht is about 5 years old and hardly used. Will someone take me on?
FMQ (free motion quilting) and there are quilt acranyms posted a few times on the site, but I know they are on page 83. There are also LOTS of links and information shared and posted in this newbie's site. All our latest newcomers, please read back many pages 25 at least, to notice all the information shared.

Then when our newbie's or experienced 30 yr sewers needing help with a specific technique. PLEASE, post exactly what your question is. Some have connected with something in common, and "adopted" someone. But we have so many needing help, not near enough people to adopt, so it's great to post openly, and someone will find the answer and post back... but this way, everyone get's to learn from each other's questions. And sometimes more than one option is shared. I have learned 4 ways to do a log cabin quilt, I believe there are at least 3 ways to applique. Several ways to baste a quilt. Several ways to actually "quilt" your final stage of making your quilt. I know I'm still learning myself, but hope I can help someone really new to quilting also. I think quilter's are among the friendliest people. Debbie
Old 01-17-2011, 01:46 PM
nan

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
Not an expert at all but willing gladly to lend a bit of advice, and if I dont have it I can find the answer. The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask. So.. newbies.. PM me I am glad to be help.
I would be grateful if I could ask you questions once in awhile. Newbie Nan. Please say yes.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by nan
Originally Posted by Elisabrat
Not an expert at all but willing gladly to lend a bit of advice, and if I dont have it I can find the answer. The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask. So.. newbies.. PM me I am glad to be help.
I would be grateful if I could ask you questions once in awhile. Newbie Nan. Please say yes.
Of course, anyone, newbie or mostly experienced, ask questions here and we all will try to help.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:20 PM
nan

Cool, thanks for the quick reply. Here's my first question then, do you always have a piece of fabric behind every square, triangle, or angle used in the quilt?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by nan
Cool, thanks for the quick reply. Here's my first question then, do you always have a piece of fabric behind every square, triangle, or angle used in the quilt?
Not sure what your asking, but yes, you always sandwich the full tip with batting & backing. Prairie Points would be one example where the fabric is simply folded and no batting or backing, it's a border for quilts.
If your doing a yo yo quilt, again, the yo yo's are sewn together without anything behind them, usually.
If this isn't your question, please try again. Debbie
Old 01-17-2011, 03:55 PM

TjNurse93, I will mentor you if you would like. I have only been quilting for about 2 1/2 years but don't let that scare you. I took my first quilting class in August 2008 and now I am making custom quilts for people. I can do foundation paper piecing, stained glass, mosaics, and applique. Right now I am working on a custom order Celtic king size quilt then I have two sports teams throw quilts to make. I'm taking a class for the "Rose of Sharon" quilt which I pretty much know how to do everything except for the quilt as you go part. If you would like to see pics of what I have made for my website, craft shows, and customers just let me know.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:06 PM

I would love to see your work. I am a newbie.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:47 PM

PAPER PIECING:

I'm planning to try it for the first time to do the heart quilt in the current issue of Quilters World Mag I found several instructional videos by googling "paper piecing" Looks like fun and maybe easier than piecing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgr5JMxNfow
Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 PM

I am a newbie to this board but not to quilting. What is an Estane? If someone would like quilting help with piecing, embroidering or FM (free motion) quilting I can try to help out.