Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a difference in thread?????? >

Is there a difference in thread??????

Is there a difference in thread??????

Old 11-29-2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by retrogirl02
good question barnbum, I'm thinking the same thing myself....and I believe that the all purpose coats & clark is poly/cotton blend....I'm not in the sewing room, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I learned on an old Kenmore and was told it was fine to use all purpose thread. I purchased some very nice polys for the embroidery machine and was given zero advice about the recent Kenmore DH purchased for me as a surprise. I have Gutterman because mom likes it best but on on these projects I'm giving away, I'd like to save a bit of money on thread so I can spend it on fabric/batting/tools.

I've had my current Kenmore for a couple years without maintenance (I know, I know) and haven't had any issues. The embroidery machine (Janome) is riddled with problems and constantly clogged up. I put in the closet because I just got so frustrated....I wonder if I've been using the correct thread all along. ???
check the kind of bobbin you are using. i finally discovered the bobbin was the thing messing up my babylock when i embroider. the requirements for bobbins on an embroidery machine are very specific apparently. use the one made for your machine and don't wind it on the bobbin winder gadget. wind it on your machine and see if it makes a difference. if you use prewounds you may have to search for the one that works best on Janome. i can't believe how much difference it can make. also check the subject on quilting forum under bobbins. i believe there is a discussion there. seems to me i just saw it a couple days ago.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:46 PM

barnbum, How do you like your Quest machine? I am looking at one, thinking I might like it. What are the pro and cons of it? Thanks, Mary
Old 11-30-2008, 07:44 PM

In response to your putting your Janome machine away, YES IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE WHAT THREAD YOU USE. Janome emb. machines love rayon....GOOD quality rayon thread; e.g. Madeira. You must also cut the beginning thread after three stitches to alleviate the "nest" of thread on the bottom. In addition, please use a very good bobbin thread; e.g., 60wt. as it is thin and very durable. You will get more thread on your bobbin this way. Ususally, it is operator error, not machine error that gets us in trouble....I learned the hard way. NO CHEAP THREAD!!! Especially thread from India. Polyester thread in a quilt will, over time, cut through the fabric and ruin your quilt. Please use 100% Egyptian cotton thread when quilting. It will cost you a few cents more, but give you better results. The higher the number of the thread, the better your points will be due to the fact that the thread is not taking up all the room at the point. I had to learn that the hard way too. Good luck! GiGi
Old 11-30-2008, 07:45 PM

My Janome's do to; hate Coats and Clark, LOVE Gutterman. GiGi
Old 12-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Administrator

i have to repeat my cautions:

1 - expensive does not guarantee quality.
2 - "egyptian" in the name or description does not guarantee quality.

3 - threads that work well for some people on some machines may not give the same results to somebody else on a different machine. you may even find differences between machine models from the same manufacturers.

4 - buy only one or two of each new brand you try, and then write down the results. that way, you'll learn which to buy in future and which to avoid. experiment, starting with the less expensive brands, working your way up the price scale until you find one you and your machine like.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 AM

Ditto on the Coats and Clark all purpose thread for my Janome. I tried machine quilting with it and OH...MY....GOSH!!! Thread kept shredding and then breaking every 6-10". Can you say "GRRRRRR"! LOL! But it hums right along with some 100% Egyptian cotton Red Star thread from my LQS (also made by Coats and Clark, strangely) that's a bit cheaper than the Gutterman and others. Thank goodness. I was about ready to give up!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:25 PM

mary--I never saw your question about the Quest! Sorry!

So far--it's a learning thing. I've over oiled it--good lesson on what NOT to do. I have machine quilted with it--awesome. Now and then it gets noisy--so I'm trying to work out different threads to see what it likes. :roll: I don't like change--so it's hard for me to adjust. :wink: I just want to sew--I don't want to read the manual to figure things out. But I am. :D

I really liked Jamones when I test drove one--but one of my top wants was a larger thraot area--and the Quest gave me that at the best price. The seller is awesome--but they are an hour away, darn it.