Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop? >

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:25 AM

at the Joann's near us there is one tiny silver haired
older woman who cuts fabric I have never seen her smile in ten years she never carries a conversation never offers to help I honestly don't know how she stays employed. On the opposite end there is a lovely Irish older woman who is sweet as chocolate pie I just love her. My feeling is they must be a very unhappy person for that to carry over at work.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Scraps
Four of us gals drove 2 hrs each way today to go to the largest quilt shop in Florida! 20,000 bolts of fabric and 700 books, etc. etc. Fabric choices were abundant - displayed well - clean shop, but the most unfriendly women working there we couldn't believe it. We didn't know how to react!!!! Next week we are taking our money to a friendly shop!
You go girl! We only have 2 shops and one Joann's in Lynchburg VA, the smallest one has very rude women working and I don't go their unless I have to.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The most mean quilt shop person I have ever visited was the big one in Sedona, AZ. I forgot the name. It's been sold since then so the owner that was there when I was I guess is gone too. The employees were trying to be nice but the owner was so hateful and biting everyone's head off all they could do was say yes ma'am and look embarrassed. I didn't buy a thing there. I heard it's a super nice shop now.
If it is the one right in town, yes, it is very friendly now. I was there a couple of years ago and all the ladies were great.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:47 AM

I've decided the lady at my local LQS is either just shy or depressed. When I've tried to draw her out, she has been helpful and nice, but early on, I went other places rather than there because I felt unwelcome. I don't like to be bothered anyway, so I just go in there and do my own thing.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:57 AM

Good for you! I'm no longer backward about complaning when it's needed.
My eye Dr ( took over from another Dr).After his office messed up dates/times for appts etc & was still doing it a yr later,I told him he had a bad office.He did listen & it's better.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:06 AM

Yes. Our Hancock's store is the most unfriendliest place I have ever seen in my life. All of the workers there act like you are interrupting them by coming into the store.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:07 AM

My area of TN doesn't have alot of quilt shops and the one I found the same experience. The owner wouldn't give you the time of day but her husband was very nice and helpful. So many people are sensitive to fragrances and perfumes, this shop had scented lavender candles burning all the time, it about killed me so I stopped going. Now a new shop has opened in our town and we have a fun group of teachers & a nice owner so all is well. Moosegirl
Old 01-19-2011, 05:12 AM

Yep. As a matter of fact I'm thinking that perhaps I went to the same quilt shop you are referring too, and had a similar experience. The one I went to is on the west central coast of FL - does that sound familiar?? My friend and I also drove in - about 1.5 hours, and we spent a TON of money - but I'll never do it again. The sales staff were the most unfriendly, the most unhelpful group of people I've ever encountered in a quilt shop. Although the cash register was located right by the door of the shop, and it was staffed the whole time we were there, we were never greeted by the woman at the cash register. She was too busy eating and reading a novel to acknowledge newcomers or to even thank those who had purchased from the shop. The ONLY help that I got from an employee while I was there was in the huge back room of the shop. I was looking for a specific Christmas line, and a little guy from the warehouse was walking through. When he saw me looking lost he asked me if he could help me, and then took me right to where the fabric I needed was. There were 3 real sales people in that area at that time, but were too busy chatting with each other to stop and help me. Even the person cutting the fabric for us was silent and very stand offish. I left with several hundred dollars of fabric, and never even got a "thank you for shopping with us" or an invitation to return. So - I won't return, even though I loved the selections and the prices were quite reasonable.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:12 AM

Yes nearest one to me sadly our whole group feels the same, was told when I took a queen size civil war quilt to look for a border "those aren't my colors", just cold people so have stopped all shopping there.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:15 AM

OH YES, we have 2 quilt shops in our area, one is very open and friendly, but the other Oh MY. The owner will hardly acknowledge you came through the door. If one of her friends is on the phone with her, she will not even greet her customers. The 2nd shop opened a bit over a year ago and my have they expanded. There are always people in there. Just shows you need to appreciate your customers.