Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's Talk Pieced Backings... >

Let's Talk Pieced Backings...

Let's Talk Pieced Backings...

Old 01-24-2011, 05:15 AM

As long as you allow 4" all around on your backing, your longarmer should be able to get the backing straight
Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 AM

As a long arm quilter, it isn't the piecing that can be the problem with some quilt backs. You'd be amazed at the number who leave the selvage on an internal piece. That said getting it straight is the only issue. And if asked I prefer long multiple seams to go across the backing (horizontal). That way if some of the pieces have more stretch than others it will tension evenly.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 AM

I like a peiced backing if I'm keeping the quilt; gifts I always try to coordinate with the front if not match those colors.
I just finished a wall hanging and used 3 different greens I had that were WOF but only 15 or 20 inches wide; I've had these fabrics since I started quilting and decided I don't want to cut on them any longer. I have some yardages I think I'll do the same with
Old 01-24-2011, 05:24 AM

I've started using UFO's for backings and love the look. I handquilt so no problem. Most of my UFO's are 1 1/2" to 2" squaressewn together. I knew I would never in this lifetime finish them so it makes me feel good to see the stack go down.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:39 AM

Sometimes I do piece the backing for a quilt. This allows me
to use pieces of fabric that was leftover from the quilt or pieces
of fabric that coordinate with the front that I like but don't have enough to piece a quilt top. I do use large pieces of fabric
keeping the seams to a minimum. I have made horizontal seams and vertical seams as well. My longarm quilter has never said it was a problem quilting.
I think its a great way to use up fabrics in my stash instead of running out and buying something else. :thumbup:
Old 01-24-2011, 05:53 AM

I make a large quilt design that will back the quilt. For example, a large churn dash or nine patch. Lots of possibilities.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by SuzanneG
Great question. I think it's going to be a matter of personal preference more than anything on how each of us does our backing. As for me, I am still a fan of muslin. I often use top quality muslin for my backing. I get so many compliments on the quilts I give as gifts that the back of the quilt is so soft and comfy when they snuggle up under it. (Most of my quilts are lap quilts.). If I don't use muslin, I use whatever neutral fabric I used in the quilt top for the backing. Either way, I just piece together whatever I have to make the back big enough. Because it's all the same fabric, there is no pattern to the piecing. I just need to make it large enough.
I, too, am a fan of muslin. I tend to use quilters muslin. It's a little more expensive but is better quality and it comes in sizes to accomodate any quilt. I have used other fabrics but I think muslin is my favorite. If the back has to be pieced I just divide the back into sections and seam up the fabric so as to be attractive and balanced.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:02 AM
Banned

Very often when I am judging quilts, my juding companion will comment positively on pieced backings. John Flynn's method of extending the width of fabric for wider backing is really helpful. You can extend 45" out to 60" and 60" out to 90" the instructions are on his web site.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:34 AM

following this topic
Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 AM

as a longarm quilter I have received many different backings. Fat quarters, wide strips 6 inch, just got one of 5 inch squares will be interesting. I have one of mine that is 2 yrs of 2 different fabrics with 2 inch strips sewn together in the middle to make it long enought. I have see a large pannel with borders around, I tell customers I cant guarentee centering this. I have seen left over blocks. so anthing goes as long as it squares up. If lots of seams on the outside edges, needs stay stitching to keep from unravelling.